need help to recover corrupt excel file after pc crash

Copper Contributor

Hello,

My computer froze and I had to force restart it.

I had a very important Excel file with data that is not available anywhere else open when this happened, and after the restart the file (saved on OneDrive) could not be opened: an error message saying "Excel cannot open the file 'Events checklist.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file".

I have tried using the Excel "open and repair" option (both repair and recover), change the calculation to manual in the formulas option, add an "everyone" user with full access in the file security properties, changing manually the extension from .xlsx to .xls (didn't work as it would only result in .xlsx.xls) but nothing worked.

Could someone please assist? I will lose days on work if I cannot recover the data (calculations are not important) :(

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Maria

2 Replies

@maria_f_uipi 

Repairing a corrupted workbook

When you open a workbook that has been corrupted, Excel automatically starts File Recovery mode and attempts to reopen and simultaneously repair the workbook.

Excel cannot always start File Recovery mode automatically. If you cannot open a workbook because it has been corrupted, you can try to repair the workbook manually.

You can also try other methods to recover workbook data when repairing a workbook is not successful. As a preventive measure, you may want to save your workbook often and create a backup copy every time that you save it. Or you can specify that Excel automatically creates a recovery file at specific intervals. This way, you will have access to a good copy of the workbook, if the original is deleted accidentally or if it becomes corrupted.

You will find the repair steps in the top link.

Hope I was able to help you with this info.

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@maria_f_uipi 

There are many ways to repair corrupt Excel file. If open and repair is not working then, you can change the file format. 

You can check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eumfyKhzvPc