Need help. Pivot table average adding decimal places to whole number

Copper Contributor

Greetings,

I am using a pivot table to compute the average of a list of whole number (ratings 1-5).  The pivot table average is returning fractional values so rather than 5, returning 4.63 for example.  I am wanting the average to be returned as a whole number.

8 Replies

@Cheryle2175 Difficult to follow what you are trying to achieve, but your formula seems to return the NUMBERVALUE of texts varying from "1", "2","3","4" and "5". Why not just skip the "numbervalue" and use the values 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 in your formula to begin with?

Perhaps you can upload a sample of your workbook with the PT in it so that we can see how your formula affects the PT.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

I over complicated the ask above.  Here is the simple version: I am using a pivot table to compute the average of a list of whole number ratings 1-5.  The pivot table average is returning fractional values so rather than 5, returning 4.63 for example.  

@Cheryle2175I guess this is a matter of number formatting. Assuming that the ratings are in the Value area of the PT, and you have set the action to "Average" (i.e. not Sum or Count, for example). Here you can also change the number format. Set it to a number with 0 (zero) decimals. In your case, the real average is still 4.63 but it will show as 5.

@Riny_van_Eekelen Yes thank you I have updated the Average to zero decimal places.  The table displays zero decimal places, the graph label displays zero decimal places.  However, the actual graph of the value the bar illustrates multiple decimal place values.  So for example two bars with label of "4" are different heights. See the attached example.

@Cheryle2175 Interesting problem, but I haven't been able to solve it within the pivot table/chart. Tried Calculated Fields but that didn't do what I had in mind. A work-around could be to create a "helper" table that picks-up values from the pivot table and rounds these. Then, you create your chart from that helper table with rounded values. The attached workbook contains an example. Not sure if this is feasible or acceptable for you, though.

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 05.54.50.png

@Riny_van_Eekelen  Thanks, surprising their is not a way to control the average summarize value output.

@Cheryle2175 

No, you can achieve this.

What I got from your problem.

You are averaging the ratings, but its coming out to be in decimal. You want in a whole number.

If 2.4 then 2 if 4.6 then 5. If its the case . Just follow this

source:https://gyankosh.net/msexcel/how-to-use-pivot-tables-in-excel/#gsc.tab=0e

When you go to the field settings, the picture shown above comes up.

Just go to number format and choose one without the decimals.

Your problem is solved.

*If it was what I understood.

@gyankosh  Hi, thank you for the response.  I follow you, however, the issue is that when the value is graphed it is graphed with the decimal not as a whole number.