My spreadsheet vanished when I pressed Alt + H + W - HELP?! How do I undo andget my spreadsheet back

Copper Contributor

My font was overflowing into different columns/cells so I googled how to get them to confine to one cell and microsoft.com said to press  Alt + H + W. I did that on the column and my entire spreadsheet vanished. Most of the main tabs at the top are un-highlited and not clickable (Home, Insert, Page Layout, Formulas, Data, etc). I dont want to save because I'm afraid it would save this mess over my many years worth of data entry, but I also dont want to lose the 3 hours worth of data entry I did just before this happened. Any help or suggestions?? 

6 Replies

@KristenHanson 

I suspect that you pressed Alt+W, H by accident. This hides the window.

To unhide, press Alt+W, U or click Unhide on the View tab of the ribbon.

Select the workbook, then click OK.

@Hans Vogelaar THis was helpful, but I hit ALT+H+W intentionally because it says it is a shortcut for wrap text. 

hutchicd_0-1697650466576.png

@hutchicd I just did the same thing so I'm grateful for this post.  I just realized we need to press and release the keys one at a time in order (not holding the keys down).  I tried holding alt, H, and W all at the same time.  I'm guessing when I released the keys, I lifted up on the W before the H and that's what screwed everything up.  Lesson learned.

@imran023 

Glad it helped. Your kind words are all the thanks I need.