SOLVED

Moving the selected cell with the arrow keys

Copper Contributor

May I have assistance?

In Excel when I use the arrow keys in an attempt to move from one cell to another, the selected cell doesn't move but the whole page moves.  For example, with the mouse I select cell C8.  if I then hit the LEFT arrow key, nothing happens.  If I hit the RIGHT arrow key, cell C8 remains selected and the whole page moves to the left.  If I hit the UP arrow key, nothing happens.  If I hit the DOWN arrow key the whole page moves up. 

Do I need to change a setting to be able to move the selected cell with use of the arrow keys?

Alanw2273

5 Replies

@Alanw2273 

Your description is a bit confusing. You speak of wanting to move from one cell to another, but you also refer to moving the cell itself. And of course, the cell itself is not go to move. You might want to move (copy or cut and paste) the content of a given cell to another location, but that's a different thing altogether.

Are you perchance holding down the CTRL or Command key at the same time as you're pressing the arrow?

Do you experience anything similar with other programs? Word, perhaps?

best response confirmed by mtarler (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Alanw2273  check that your scroll lock isn't on.  it may be on by default.  

@mtarler  - Thanks so much, that worked!  You're a genius, or I'm an idiot … (likely both :-). 

Same problem, same solution. Thank you!
I'm having the same issue and my scroll lock is not on. Hit the arrow keys and nothing happens.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by mtarler (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Alanw2273  check that your scroll lock isn't on.  it may be on by default.  

View solution in original post