Map 2 States with CVS data

Copper Contributor

Hey everyone, I found that this place has way smarter ppl then me :). I am trying to Map two states. I also wanted to show how many occurrences have shown up for each State. I have tried several ways to format the cells and keep them separates showing county city states but for some reason I can't the States to show up nor get the data associated to each state. Hope I can get some help. I am using. 

Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSOCapture.PNG

6 Replies
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Since the map has many states that are empty on the map, it seems that there's a problem with the map chart service in Excel. If you try using any of the states that are filled in with gray on the map, then I think they will work fine.

I see a similar problem, but I have a slightly different set of states that are currently working properly.
Thank you for the feedback. Is there a format that you are using that is different than mine? I do use excel at work so there could be limitations on what excel can and can't do based on security measure at the job. The idea is to show both states and how many occurrences of incidents happen at each one. With one state showing darker with more occurrences. Not sure if that is on the right track. I did see this post, but it did not help my case. (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel/map-counties-within-state/m-p/4028401#M217193)

@F301 When trying to get the states to show up, I didn't have any luck with Virginia. I don't know why there are empty state regions on the map. That's why I think it's a problem for Microsoft to fix. 

Steve_SumProductCom_0-1713466259839.png

I was able to get a few counties in WA to work, but not the same for Virginia.

BTW - you can't show more than one series of values in the chart, since the values are indicated by the color in the region. However, there's another post that gives a way to quickly switch.

Map Chart - Multiple Series - Microsoft Community Hub

First thank you for the response and your time. Second you gave me some confidence I am on the right track. I appreciate the article as well. I will keep giving this article go and "WHEN" I make some traction. I will update my finding here to share and see if it helps you or anyone else in their quest.

@F301 

In addition, I'd do not recommend to use rich data types (Geography), usually Map Charts works with plain text much better. Even if Microsoft recommends to use data types.

image.png

Another point you may play with series colors. Instead of default 2-level gradient in blue you may define your own colors, use 3-levels gradients and not only from lowest to highest but define levels by fixed numbers or precents. Unfortunately ther is no option with formula.

image.png

This was a nice treat lol. Thank you for your response and input. I am taking your recommendations on plain text charts, but I am having a hard time replicating. Not to be a Noobie, but I got a few questions on how you did that magic!!!

1.) How did you get the Map to show up completely? I think my environment limits my Excel in some of those action just my thought. 

2.) How did you get the splitter aka. (Level) to show up? I am noobie you Jedi Master.

3.) The formula in Cell N10 how does this work with the green table? 

4.) Is there a to represent the same incident that would be showing up at both sites? 

All in all, thank you for your time and patience's as well. You and the community are real hero's. Rounds of coffee and beer on me!!!