keep source formatting from word to excel

Copper Contributor

Please someone tell me how to keep the source formatting when pasting from word to excel!!! It's driving me mad and generating a lot of extra work :(

6 Replies

@JANETBIGGAR

In Excel, click the lower half of the Paste button on the home tab of the ribbon, and select the first option: Keep Source Formatting.

S0139.png

yes, but that is greyed out when pasting more than one line of test - sorry should've been clearer...@Hans Vogelaar 

@JANETBIGGAR 

Are you trying to paste multiple lines/paragraphs into a range, or into a single cell?

into a single cell - It seems it isn't possible to do that without losing formatting - another solution would be if I could get excel to check spelling as I type - that's the reason I'm pasting in from word in the first place @Hans Vogelaar 

@JANETBIGGAR 

As you have found, it is not possible to preserve formatting when you start editing a cell and then paste text into it.

Excel does not provide "live" spell-checking, but you can press F7 to spell-check a range of cells.

@Hans Vogelaar yes, but the excel spell checker does not highlight or underline, so is very time consuming. It is quicker to do the spellchecking in word and paste in - even though that means re-doing all the formatting - hey ho....I don't think there is any better way round my problem...