Insert gif files into spreadsheet

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have inserted a gif file into my spreadsheet just as I would any other picture format. The animation does not play once inserted. I am using Exce 2016.

It there a way to get the animation to work once the file is embedded into the spreadsheet?

7 Replies

Thanks for the answer. It looked promising, but I can't do the following 3 steps in the techwalla.com article. I do not have the "Toolbars" option on my "View" menu and can't find it to add it from the customize ribbon option in Excel 2016, or in any other menu location.The "Design Mode" is located on the "Developer" tab menu so I do have that. I found a "Control Toolbox" in the Visual Basic menus, but it is greyed out and I can't open it.

Step

Click on the "View" menu and choose "Toolbars" => "Control Toolbox."

Step

Click on the top button in the "Control Toolbox," which activates "Design Mode." "Design Mode" allows you to draw an item in your spreadsheet that may receive an object such as an animated GIF.

Step

Click on the bottom button in the "Control Toolbox," which has a hammer. From the drop-down menu, select "Microsoft Web Browser." This activates "Microsoft Web Browser" controls, which can be used to view animated GIFs.

I didn't play with this, but in general 

File->Options->Customise Ribbon and be sure Developer checked.

Controls are under Developer tab on ribbon

I do not have the options listed in the instructions below to follow them. The view tab and developer tab are active in Excel 2016, but there is no "Toolbars", "Control Toolbox," or a drop-down menu from it to select "Microsoft Web Browser" OR the bottom button in the "control box", where the dirrections list the hammer. Screen prints attached.

Step

Click on the "View" menu and choose "Toolbars" => "Control Toolbox."

Step

Click on the top button in the "Control Toolbox," which activates "Design Mode." "Design Mode" allows you to draw an item in your spreadsheet that may receive an object such as an animated GIF.

Step

Click on the bottom button in the "Control Toolbox," which has a hammer. From the drop-down menu, select "Microsoft Web Browser." This activates "Microsoft Web Browser" controls, which can be used to view animated GIFs.

I am still trying to make gif files work in excel 2016. I have them inserted on an object (Shape that I created as a "viewscreen"), not in a cell. I have tried a solution from the techwalla website but can't make it work. I have included a screen print of the instructions and what I have done, including the VB error message. I believe that I followed the instructions correctly. Can anyone help?

I opened "Design Mode" on my own because the method in the instructions, the commands listed in the steps, are not found in my menus. Because of that, I still can't complete step 5, "Open the Microsoft Web Browser used to view & control the gifs". (Opening Edge or Internet Explorer doesn't seem to help anything.)

@Forrest1210 

Hi - I have the same challenges with this - I was able to select the Microsoft Browser option, but when I went to draw the target frame and move on, I consistently got a "Cannot Insert Object" message! 

By comparison, inserting a video playback frame (selecting the Windows Media Player object) was a piece of cake.  I can't find anyone who has gotten past this point with the Browser option...seems like it should be a dead easy sort of well-established function, but something is definitely glitchy.   I wish you luck too!

Same probelm with me. I have "Design mode" ("Modalità progettazione" in italian) blanked, in the "Development" ("Sviluppo") menu section.

I am getting mad at finding the trick to activate this... is this possible? I mean, it should be a piece of cake instead I lost hours from this morning.... 

LucaTec1967_0-1593694147930.png

@keithinSookeBC