In Windows 10, Excel color fill quit displaying today 10/1/17 but prints fine.

Copper Contributor

After determining my MS Windows 10 does not have the high-definition turned ON, I'm at a loss as to why the fill color on my spreadsheets won't display but will print fine.  This started happening after the last update and I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem and if someone has found a solution.  Thank you!

7 Replies

Hi Barbara,

If that's for Page Layout view when that's the bug which is fixed for later builds, please see

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Fixes-or-workarounds-for-recent-issues-in-Excel-for-Windows...

MS advised making sure the latest version and all updates are installed.  When I checked, I have the latest version installed.

To get this resolved I called support.  We tried to "repair" MS Office from Programs and Changes.  This failed.  We uninstalled/reinstalled MS Office.  We found my existing Excel 2016 spreadsheet will display Fill Color in the "normal" and "page break preview" views but NOT the "page layout" view.  WORKAROUND:  Don't use "page layout" view.

All year I've been using this particular spreadsheet on a weekly basis.  I open the previous week and "save as" for the new week.  For 38 weeks it has worked in the "page layout" view.  Now it doesn't.  Is it the file?  Or did MS Office getting updated?

Opening a new worksheet, everything works.

The engineers will look at this.  

Thank you for your quick response.  Much appreciated.

I'm having the same exact problem. It's important that I view my sheets in page view so I can make sure all the header and footer fields are visible. Hoping for a fix ASAP, as this is driving me NUTS! It also only started this week for me.

Barbara, I have exactly the same problem.  Not just the FILL color, but no colors at all except fonts, (which always appear black)  placed anywhere on my Excel 2013 spreadsheet display on my monitor screeen.  However, they do show up correctly on paper when I print it.  I am at a loss for the solution.

@George Michaels 

did you ever get this fixed?  I have the exact same problem.  Techs at MS tried to help via chat and also I am in contact with another person via messenger board.  Please reply if you are able.

We recently updated to Windows 10 and that's when I noticed that the color fill function in Excel would not work.  I've tried looking up fixes for this issue online but thus far, I have not been able to get this issue fixed.  I'm constantly using this function to highlight different cell data and it's frustrating that I can't find a fix - please help @Barbara Hansen 

You are not alone - this just started happening with my work version of Excel @Terry_Carroll 

In cell to be colored I apply the following work-around

Right click in designated cell

Select Format Cells

Select the Fill tab

Choose color

Select OK button

Sometimes this action will trigger the fill color in the bucket icon.  Today that is not even working for me.

Hope this helps.