Importing data from Excel to Word

Copper Contributor

I need help doing the following: 1.-I have to import data from info on Excel to word, but I want the info on Word to update if it changes on excel. I tried doing: Paste special > paste link, but the info doesn't really update after I change things on the original excel format. 2.- I also would like a way to make this as "automatic" as possible, since I have to repeat this process for dozens of tables. - All of the tables I have to copy and paste are in the same Workbook, in the same cells, but in different worksheets, any way to just "autocomplete" the process to pull the data from the different sheets on different Word tables? - Also, every month I have to repeat the same process on another word file, pulling data from another Excel workbook, everything looks very similar but the info changes, is it possible to just Copy the word file I created, change its name and just have the links updated so it pulls all the info from a new excel workbook that looks very similar to the previous one? Thanks in advance.

2 Replies

@DGDKami 

You can import data from Excel into Word as a linked OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) object so that when the Excel file changes, the Word document will update as well. To do this, you need to open the Excel source workbook and select the data you want to place in the Word file. Then press Ctrl + C or right-click and choose Copy from the drop-down menu. Open the Word destination document and position the insertion point where you want the linked Excel data to appear. Click the Home tab in the Ribbon and select the arrow below Paste. A drop-down menu appears. Select Paste Special. A dialog box will appear.

If you want to automate this process, you can use VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) to create a button in your dataset that will import data into Word from Excel. You can also use Mail Merge to auto-populate a Word document from Excel. This process involves preparing your Excel file, going to your Word document and selecting the Mailings tab from your ribbon. Then you need to select Recipients and choose Use an Existing List from the drop-down menu. A Select Data Source window will pop up where you can navigate to your Excel file and select it.

I hope this helps! 

@NikolinoDE ok I don't think I have access to visual basic in my work place, but I will try using the mailing part you recommended, ty so much