SOLVED

if multiple cells contain specific text then return value

Copper Contributor

I have a column that can show two different statuses, Approved and Amend Required. I want to find a formula that will give me two options:

- if all my cells have the value Approved then I want to have the value Approved returned and

- if one cell contains the value Amend Required and the rest are showing Approved I want to have the value Amend Required returned.

I tried the IF formula on the attached but it's not the one, anyone could help pls?

7 Replies

@lilian51129 I believe you need to use something like this:

=IF(COUNTA(B3:B6)=4,IF(COUNTIF(B3:B6,"Amend Required")<>0,"Amend Required","Approved"),"")

It will see is all fields are filled in before calculating the Overall Status. When that is the case it will look if there is any occurrence of "Amend Required".

oh I see, so these columns will be filled in the course of a week therefore when the status cells are empty is there any way the Overall Status to be empty as well before all the departments have put their approval?

@lilian51129That's exactly what this formula does. See attached.

Apologies you are right. If those cells had the value '0' and were autopopulated from other tabs how would this formula work?
best response confirmed by lilian51129 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

(edited to account for empty state)
Try:
=IF(COUNTIF(range,""),"",IF(PRODUCT(--(range="APPROVED")),"APPROVED","AMEND REQUIRED"))

Basically assigns binary to your cells where APPROVED = 1 and anything else = 0. These are all multiplied together and if the result is 1 it'll be "APPROVED" otherwise "AMEND REQUIRED".

With this, it considers all 3 possible states: all approved, all amend (or empty), mixed approved and amend (or empty).

@lilian51129 Try this then:

=IF(SUM(--(B3:B6=""))<>0,"",IF(COUNTIF(B3:B6,"Amend Required")<>0,"Amend Required","Approved"))

This will return a blank as long as not all four cells have something other than "" in them.

Thanks this worked like a charm!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by lilian51129 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

(edited to account for empty state)
Try:
=IF(COUNTIF(range,""),"",IF(PRODUCT(--(range="APPROVED")),"APPROVED","AMEND REQUIRED"))

Basically assigns binary to your cells where APPROVED = 1 and anything else = 0. These are all multiplied together and if the result is 1 it'll be "APPROVED" otherwise "AMEND REQUIRED".

With this, it considers all 3 possible states: all approved, all amend (or empty), mixed approved and amend (or empty).

View solution in original post