I only wish I was in the Caribbean!

Copper Contributor

I have a spreadsheet that I have to copy & paste downloaded data into at least weekly. I have the Date column formatted as MM/DD, I don't need the year, so the column can be smaller with this format. I have to change the format of the newly pasted data so it appears correctly. Nearly every time I go into Format Cells, it shows my "Locale (Location)" as "English (Caribbean)" and I have to switch it to "English (United States)" to be able to use the above format.

Why does this happen all the time? My computer has never been in the Caribbean. Heck, I've only been there once 25 years ago! So I don't know where Excel gets the idea that that my computer & I are sitting beach-side on some Caribbean island, lol.

Is there someway to fix this so I don't have to change it all the time? It's more an annoyance than anything else, but it's still an annoyance I don't need, lol!

Using Office 365 on Windows 10.

Thanks for any advice.

7 Replies

Hi Lisa

Not sure why your language is changing unless what you are copying from has a different language setting to your workbook?

I would suggest using Format Painter (in your Home tab), select the cell with the right format, click onto Format Painter to copy the correct cell format and click onto the desired cell to apply the correct formatting.

or;

Select the cell/s that are out of whack, right click and select Format Cells, go to Custom, enter MM-DD

It does't fix your language issue, but sometimes it's quicker to just touch up the problem than it is to try to fix it (unless someone has specifics on how to do that here?)!

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Damien

In your Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region there must be an English(Caribbean) entry somewhere.  Find and delete that entry and your problem will be gone.

For Windows 10

Win+R -> ms-settings:regionlanguage -> Enter

@Mark Fitzgerald wrote:

In your Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region there must be an English(Caribbean) entry somewhere.  Find and delete that entry and your problem will be gone.

Well, everything seemed to be set to English (United States) until I checked the advanced settings under Language. There are 2 pull down menus, "Override for Windows display language" and "Override for default input method." Both were set to "Use language list (recommended)" I changed them to "English (United States) which is the only other option." I closed & re-opened Excel and it seems to be working correctly now. But I don't understand why since the only language settings I can find are set to United States.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

@Sergei Baklan wrote:

For Windows 10

Win+R -> ms-settings:regionlanguage -> Enter

Everything was set to US English when I checked this way. Thanks though!

Wow, That was so easy! I had forgotten about the Format Painter! I've never really used it much, but I sure will now!

Thank you! 

@Damien Rosario wrote:

Hi Lisa

Not sure why your language is changing unless what you are copying from has a different language setting to your workbook?

I would suggest using Format Painter (in your Home tab), select the cell with the right format, click onto Format Painter to copy the correct cell format and click onto the desired cell to apply the correct formatting.

or;

Select the cell/s that are out of whack, right click and select Format Cells, go to Custom, enter MM-DD

It does't fix your language issue, but sometimes it's quicker to just touch up the problem than it is to try to fix it (unless someone has specifics on how to do that here?)!

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Damien

Happy to help. I love doing things the easy way!!!

Hope it all works out for you!

Cheers
Damien