i have problem with cell protection in shared excel

Copper Contributor

i have shared excel file which is in my OneDrive to 5members by their Microsoft account ID, and i want particular members to edit specific cell range and rest should be protect. 

i have tried and didn't got any options for that.

pls help me out

6 Replies

@Kira1996 

Unfortunately, it is not currently possible to lock specific cells or ranges in a shared Excel worksheet using Excel for the web. According to a Microsoft Community post, “Excel for the web can’t lock cells or specific areas of a worksheet. If you want to lock cells or protect specific areas, click Open in Excel and lock cells to protect them or lock or unlock specific areas of a protected worksheet”.

You can only lock cells or protect specific areas of a worksheet using the desktop version of Excel.

After protecting the cells in the desktop version of Excel, you can then upload the workbook to OneDrive and share it with others.

The protection will still be in effect when the file is opened in Excel for the web .

see, i want some members to edit whole sheet and some members to specific cells range..
but even if do what you said here. consider me and that member uses the excel at same time (parallelly), he will get access to edit whole sheet. while i unprotect it.
even though i have to protect the sheet, when i'm done using it. every time and i want it automatically lock when i close it.

@Kira1996 

In the desktop version of Excel 365, you can share specific cells or ranges with specific users while the rest of the worksheet remains protected.

Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Select the cell or range of cells that you want only certain people to be able to edit.
  2. Go to the Review tab and click Allow Users to Edit Ranges.
  3. A window will open; in that window, click New…
  4. In the New Range dialog box, enter the title of the range and click Permissions.
  5. In the Permissions dialog box, click Add.
  6. In the Select Users dialog box, enter the names of the users who are allowed to edit this range and click OK.

After protecting the cells in the desktop version of Excel, you can upload the workbook to OneDrive and share it with others.

The protection remains in effect even when the file is opened in Excel for the web.

If you want to use it for educational or sales purposes and want to be sure, click this link.

I hope this helps!

There are two features that offer some of what you need but not all.

Allow Edit Ranges (Available in desktop version only): Permissions are done through the Active Directory and not MS accounts.

Create a shared link to a workbook section (Excel for the web): you can share a sheet, range, table, or chart. When the share link is accessed by the recipient, a box outlines the area that's been shared. The down side is there's nothing stopping that person from going outside of the shared area.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/share-a-section-of-a-workbook-dd5d3385-a8f7-4a25-9283-ff5...

@Patrick2788 

your right, that Permissions are done through the Active Directory and not MS accounts. and that's what i thought before and you have clarified me. 

i still think, its better feature, if Microsoft provides. 

@NikolinoDE @Patrick2788 

btw, thank you for replying.