Hyperlinks and Objects in Excel for shared files

Copper Contributor

Details - using Office 365 on a windows platform (not Mac)

Our goal is to share a workbook among several users so we can all edit at the same time.

The Problem:  Within the excel worksheet we are trying to embed or link a word document.  We can easily do this IF the work is not shared.  The second we share the workbook it wont open so everyone can edit it but instead says we do not have that functionality and it is due to the embedded or linked objects.  Wondering if there is a workaround where we can use a hyperlink to a word file.  Also, it can be a link to a different file type (word pad, a separate excel file or any editable type document).

What we are trying to do is click on this link within excel and have a file open where additional notes can be made.  Using the comment field is not an option as it just does not work fluidly for what we want to do.  

3 Replies
Are you using the online version of Excel? Hyperlink should work fine. Can you post a screenshot of your Excel file?

@PascalKTeam 

yes we are using excel online.  when i try to open the shared file it gives me this error message.  the "unsupported features" is the hyperlink.

Bluhe_0-1583350400514.png

So I basically want to link this shared online file with word file that is located on our company network drive.  The company network drive is not located online but on a server in our office.  

I'm sorry but I can't reproduce this error.

Does it work when you link to a sharepoint file?