SOLVED

Hyperlinks - am I missing something fundamental?

Iron Contributor

I am developing a large Excel template that will be instantiated by copy.  Thought I do my poor users a favour and aid navigation thru fancy Hyperlinks.  I select "Reference in sheet".  All worked out reasonably well during construction.  I copy the template (to test in anger) and all Hyperlinks are broken.  A quick test reveals that the best you can hope for in this operation is that the link in the new copy points back to the old copy (template) - not AT ALL what I intended.  Rename the sheet and all links break.

Anyone know a work-around before I delete the feature again from my template?  Thanks.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by ecovonrein (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@ecovonrein Use the HYPERLINK function. It allows you to hard-code the sheet name and cell address. To make maintenance easy, you can put the sheet names together in one tab and reference that tab.
Syntax:

=HYPERLINK("#'"&TabWithSheetNames!A2&"'!A1",TabWithSheetNames!A2)
Thanks. That appears to work better than the GUI !
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ecovonrein (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@ecovonrein Use the HYPERLINK function. It allows you to hard-code the sheet name and cell address. To make maintenance easy, you can put the sheet names together in one tab and reference that tab.
Syntax:

=HYPERLINK("#'"&TabWithSheetNames!A2&"'!A1",TabWithSheetNames!A2)

View solution in original post