How to replace existing cell references with cell names?

Copper Contributor

I have a sheet full of formulas referencing various cells. I want to be able to better understand the logic by looking at the formulas, so I decide to name the cells. How do I get existing formulas to show these names?

6 Replies

Hi,

If you have a range of cells used in a formula, and later you named that range, you can reflect this change in the formula by going to:

Formulas >> Defined Names >> Define Name >> Apply Names

Apply Names.png

Hope that helps

@AnirudhG 

Hello, I can't figure out how to rank on my two-sheet while my data is on my sheet one Thank you. Thank you. Antoine

Hi, 

Did you ever get an answer to this? @AnirudhG 

@mksodland 

I didn't test, but perhaps this tool Excel: Name Manager (jkp-ads.com) could help

@Sergei Baklan I started a new thread with pretty much the same question but with examples and more specific questions. 

I'm pretty sure this is possible without add-ons or even VBAs, and am hoping to just get the function.  

@mksodland 

I guess that's this Get the equation, extended use of formulatext? - Microsoft Tech Community thread. Actually what you asked is how to apply defined names to formulas having assuming names are defined with references on the same sheet there formulas are. That was answered in both threads.

More complex question is how to do that if references in names are on another sheet, standard method doesn't work in such case.