How to Include a Text Field in an Excel Pivot Table

Copper Contributor

I am trying to summarise product orders in a Pivot Table and I want to include the Unit Type with each summarised value. For example, each day customers order fruit and my data has the following fields: Product, Quantity, Unit Type. The Unit Types include 'Each', 'Pack' and 'Grams'.

At the end of each day I want to summarise all of the customer orders to place my order with the fruit supplier. I can easily create a pivot table which summarises the Sum of the Quantity for each Product ordered but beside this I need to know if I am ordering 10 apples or 10 Packs of apples or 10 Grams of apples.

If I try to include Unit Type in the Values box in the Pivot Table Fields dialog box it of course makes no sense because I don't want the Sum or Count etc of the Unit Type, just the value from one of the source data items. Perhaps a Calculated Field?

Any suggestions very welcome.

2 Replies

@tdc-studio 

Do you mean something like this?

image.png

@tdc-studio If you put the unit type in the row area of the pivot table field list below product field  and then change the report layout to tabular form. You can then remove subtotal.