How to generate a two-variable table with output values from another calculator table?

Copper Contributor

Hi-

I hope this will make sense. I have built a project cost calculator for a variety of tasks in Excel, with multiple input variables, so that it can output a total cost for that task, adding up labor hours and consumables costs, etc.

I would like to be able to build a table using two of the variables I have for my task calculator as the outer row and column values, with the output of my calculator populating the inside of the table. That is, I'd like to have Excel take my x and y variable values and check what my calculator would output if it changed the calculator inputs to those variable values.

As an example, I might have a calculator that would tally the cost for a particular number preps done in parallel (variable x) and the volume of the preps (variable y). I'd like to make a table in Excel that will give me the cost output from my calculator based on specific values of x and y (e.g. 2 preps of 10 liters).

In one example I have in Excel, my input variables are in cells C7 and C8, and my calculator output is in cell F24. Could I make a formula that would substitute specific x and y values into C7 and C8, and give me the corresponding result in F24?

Thank you so much for any help you can give!

-John

1 Reply