SOLVED

How do I sort by number in cells containing text?

Copper Contributor

Hi

How can I sort a column of cells that contain the format number text numerically? I have read that I need to change the filter to numerical rather than A–Z, but I can't work out how to do that. 

At the moment, if I use the sort function, it pulls out all the numbers starting with 1, then 2, etc. I would like a true numerical reordering.

I am using Version 16.54 on a Mac.

Many thanks.

Christine

6 Replies

@Christine_S_ 

he FILTER function allows you to filter a range of data based on criteria you define.

FILTER function

How To Filter Values By First Letter Or Last Character In Excel?

Examples and detailed explanations can be found in the links above.

I also wish you have fun with excel :)

@NikolinoDE 

Hi Nikolino

Thanks for this link, but it doesn't tell me how to sort by number... That's what I need to know. As you'll see from my screenshot, the main sort function only picks the first numeral in the number, but I need to sort by whole number – ie from 1 to 46. Is this possible?

Many thanks.

best response confirmed by Christine_S_ (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Christine_S_ ,

I have seen the screenshot of you dataset and the value that are stored though they look numbers but stores are text, when you sort the data it read 1 and look next sort sequence 11 and so on. Solution to this problem you need add one leading  zero to your dataset for the single digit or two zeros depending on you length of number. Using the below formula in the helper column for single digit.

=SUBSTITUTE(A2,LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2,1)-1),TEXT(LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2,1)-1),"00"))

FarazShaikh_1-1638363120227.png

Attaching the sample file for your ready reference.

Regards, Faraz Shaikh | Microsoft MVP, MCT, MIE, MOS Master, Excel Expert

If you find the above solution resolved your query don't forget mark as Official/Best Answer & like it to help the other members find it more.

Hi Faraz
Of course! Why didn't I think of that! Thank you so much – you've saved me loads of time!
I really appreciate your help. Regards, Christine

PS Special thanks for the formula. I'd never have been able to find that without your help.

BTW, if you don't like the 01 look a space before the number will also work so it looks like 1, 2, ... , 10, ..., 20, ..
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Christine_S_ (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Christine_S_ ,

I have seen the screenshot of you dataset and the value that are stored though they look numbers but stores are text, when you sort the data it read 1 and look next sort sequence 11 and so on. Solution to this problem you need add one leading  zero to your dataset for the single digit or two zeros depending on you length of number. Using the below formula in the helper column for single digit.

=SUBSTITUTE(A2,LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2,1)-1),TEXT(LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2,1)-1),"00"))

FarazShaikh_1-1638363120227.png

Attaching the sample file for your ready reference.

Regards, Faraz Shaikh | Microsoft MVP, MCT, MIE, MOS Master, Excel Expert

If you find the above solution resolved your query don't forget mark as Official/Best Answer & like it to help the other members find it more.

View solution in original post