SOLVED

Hovering Over Notes No Longer Working

Brass Contributor

Sometime over the past week or so, none of my Excel 365 Notes will display when I hover my mouse over a cell with a Note.  This issue occurs in every workbook I open or create.  My guess is that it's due to one of my recent updates for the Office Insider program.  Please advise.

22 Replies

@Steve1330 

What are your settings here?

image.png

Yes, I have the second option checked like I always have. I have made no option changes whatsoever over the past weeks. This is clearly a result of either a recent MS 365 or Windows 10 update. This is not due to user changes, believe me. I've been working with these programs for 25 years and know an update-caused issue from a user-caused issue.

best response confirmed by Steve1330 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Steve1330 

You are right, it doesn't work on

image.png

Works with comments.

I sent a frown, that will be great if you do the same.

Sergei:

Thanks for confirming it's not just me. I'd be happy to send a note to MS, who I'm assuming that's who you said you sent your frown to. Where do I do that? I already reported the issue yesterday via Help-Contact Support, but the person who came on the chat did not inspire a lot of confidence in me that they would have a clue how to help.  That's why I then posted the issue here yesterday.

Steve

@Steve1330 

Steve, that's on ribbon

Help->Feedback->I don't like something

Don't expect an answer, but Microsoft monitors such feedbacks. More of them more chances it'll be fixed faster.

Sergei:

Thanks. Just sent my above issue description to MS and asked them to fix ASAP. I appreciate your very quick review and replies to my posted issue, as you've always done previously as well. Take care.

Steve

@Steve1330I just installed latest update and issue still exists.  See image below.

Steve1330_1-1650401461153.png

Having the same problem - Irritating as hell. Thanks for logging it.
I just received the following email from the MS Team:

Thank you for sending Microsoft feedback. Your input is valuable to us and helps improve our products.

Thank you for your feedback. We are aware of an issue with the hover experience with Modern Comments and Notes, where Notes are not appearing on hover and Modern Comments are often not appearing in their correct location. We believe your issue will be resolved in an upcoming Office update. The build that will include the fix is 16.0.14827.20060.

We apologize for the interruption in your experience. Until this issue has been addressed, please use "Show All Notes" to view Notes and use the comment pane to view Comments.
Thank you for sending Microsoft feedback. Your input is valuable to us and helps improve our products.
Your feedback directly resulted in improvements to Office.
To get the latest update, follow the steps here.

For your reference, you submitted the following feedback on April 19, 2022:
With latest update, hoving over Notes still no longer works. Please fix ASAP! Very annoying.

If you have any questions, please reply back to this email.

Thank you,
The Microsoft Team

@Steve1330 

Thanks for sharing. So, "feedback" works.

MS Follow-Up:

Apologies. The correct build which will include this update is: 16.0.15216.20060

For your reference, you submitted the following feedback on April 19, 2022:
With latest update, hoving over Notes still no longer works. Please fix ASAP! Very annoying.

If you have any questions, please reply back to this email.

Thank you,
The Microsoft Team

@Steve1330 

I guess #15216 is next one, i.e. comes on this week.

@Steve1330 Many thanks - appreciated.

Notes are working again! I just installed the latest Insider update available when I checked my Excel Account drop-down, and after it completed, all my previously inserted Notes are appearing on Mouse hover again. Thank you MS.

@Steve1330 FYI this problem still persists on my Macbook. MocOS and Excel 365 are up-to-date. Indeed an annoying little bug.

Phil, I use a PC, and everything has been fine since my 4/29/22 note above. I suggest you do what I was advised to do, and send weekly notes via the feedback option in Excel, highlighting the fact you use Excel on a Mac and not a PC.

Mine worked through most of 2022, but sometime late 2022/early 2023, I was hit by this exact issue. I'm not on any Insider programs/builds and have confirmed the install is up-to-date as of the writing of this note. :(

NemanSyedOfficial_0-1676254125292.png

Hover-triggered display still works properly for the new threaded comments. The problem is still only with the used-to-be-called-comments-now-called-notes.

Workaround to display note: If the selected cell has a note, SHIFT-F2 opens it for editing. Press ESC 2x to close. (If the selected cell has no note, it creates one in edit mode.)

Feedback sent, fingers (figuratively) crossed!

@NemanSyedOfficial 

Kinda nice - with my (non-insider) build (Version 2301 Build 16.0.16026.20002) and already since some earlier time the issue is present - and in case I'd like to send a frown like suggested here, this won't work either "due to network issues"...

You gotta hand it to MS, they're consistent; if they mess something up they go the full nine yards.

Nothing more constructive than first breaking things and then cutting off the feedback channel, so no one's gonna disturb you while trying to find out what's going on.

Thank you for the workaround, while trying it I accidentally found another one (that might shed some light onto whats wrong to the developers, maybe?):

While hovering over the cell that has a note, pressing Shift twice (or a long press) is making the the note appear. If I then press Shift again while hovering on top of another cell, the note disappears. and it also disappears if I scroll up or down,

Hopefully this will get fixed soon, in the meantime, maybe other people will find this useful.

My Excel version is: Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2303 Build 16.0.16227.20202) 64-bit

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Steve1330 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Steve1330 

You are right, it doesn't work on

image.png

Works with comments.

I sent a frown, that will be great if you do the same.

View solution in original post