horizontal excel table

Copper Contributor

hello everyone,

tables are by default vertical, i.e. headers are in the columns and the values come below them (top to bottom). How can I insert a table with headers in one column and values inputted from left to right.

thanks

sharjeel

2 Replies

@Sharjeel Faiz 

I don't think that is possible. Tables are defined to work with each row being a record and each column being a field.

If your data is like that and you want to put it in an Excel Table, select your data, copy and then paste it using Paste Special > Transpose where you are going to create the table.

I hope this helps.

Just wanted to throw in how much I would like it if tables could be sideways, whenever I want. I can see how everything thinks of Columns as letters and Rows as numbers, so things like formulas would likely need TLC to support the feature. Not sure again on limit for number of rows vs limit for number of columns.

With special limits and product design checkmates out of the conversation, it does seem like a sideways table should be no big deal. I do use Copy > Paste special: Transpose often and it is good for letting me compare some things side by side. Particularly anything in PowerShell where I'd like to be able to do Format-List, but see all the different objects side-by-side - this is that functionality in Excel.