Help with Countif returning a value if another cell contains text

Copper Contributor

I need help with getting a value if a cell contains text. Calculation should be if one cell has text then it shows a value from another cell, if the cell doesn't contain the text then it counts a string containing a specific text value. In example where N/A appears, score achieved should equal goal, if not then score achieved should count the values of Y in the four cells prior

62Mojo_0-1613139354092.png

4 Replies

@62Mojo 

Where? Which cell? from which cell?

Why not a worksheet?

With your permission, if I can recommend. It can help us all if you upload an Excel file (without sensitive data), no picture. Even if it is said that a picture can say a thousand words, it is certainly not in the case of Excel, on the contrary in some cases. This would also be a blessing for all of us, as we can understand the problem much better, a win-win situation for everyone.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@NikolinoDE 

Thanks for the response. this is a copy of the worksheet that I would like to get the formula for. I'm an amateur at this so bear with me.

the cells highlighted in yellow is what i've attempted. the gray is one of the rows that I would like to get the results for the calculation. 

thanks,

@62Mojo Try this (also in attached):

=IF(H7="N/A",I7,COUNTIF(J7:M7,"Y"))

@mtarler 

That's perfect. Thank you for the help.