HELP: cell copied is deselected when clicking on formula bar.

Copper Contributor

MY PROBLEM

The behaviour of excel seems different today, I can’t copy and paste a value directly on the formula bar any longer.

When I copy a cell, it appears the usual dashed line to highlight that the cell is copied. As soon I click the Formula Bar, when any cell is selected, the dashed line disappears, and by clicking ctrl+V no value is pasted on the formula bar.

I’m using Office 365, desktop version.

HOW I TRIED TO SOLVE THE ISSUE

I have just tried to restart the computer; I don’t know what else to try.

WHAT I USED TO DO AND WHY

When I need to copy a value (not formulas) from cell X to cell Y, I used to copy the cell X and paste the value directly on the formula bar of cell Y. I know that I could use Paste Special to paste only values, but the behaviour is different, and I prefer to copy directly on formula bar. For example, if in cell X the value is 1,000000005, and the cell is formatted to show only 2 decimals, I have two different value in cell Y if I paste to formula bar and or use Paste Special; if I copy and paste the value in cell Y with paste special, the value of cell Y is 1,000000005, and I need to format the cell to show only 2 decimals; on the contrary if I copy and paste on formula bar of cell Y, the pasted value is exactly 1,00, regardless of how I format cell Y. Sometimes I need the original value, sometimes I need the value already rounded; that’s why I don’t want to use paste special, but I would like to paste on formula bar. Moreover, by copying values on formula bar, instead of using paste special I also save a few clicks.

4 Replies
I have both Excel 2010 and 2016 installed on a Windows 10 box. With neither version can I paste a copied cell into the formula bar.
I also have Excel 2010 on Windows 7. That combination also does not allow this way of working. Whether this is something which is due to an update of Windows or of Office I do not know.

Thanks... I am pretty sure I could do that few weeks ago, because it was part of one of my weekly routine I have been doing since April.

Few weeks ago I was working with my Surface, with Win 10 (maybe not the very last update) and Office 365. I detected the change of behavior now that I use a different laptop, but still with WIn 10 (now withe the latest update) and Office 365.

But again, thank you very much for tryng to replicate the issued on your systems

You are absolutely right that this behavior has changed just in the last few days. I use this technique ALL THE TIME to paste values directly into cells without using Paste Special. Today it does not work. Really hoping this is not a planned "improvement."

I used to be able to copy cells, then right click and "insert" a new row or column prior to pasting somewhere else on the sheet or on another sheet. This functionality is gone within the past 24 hours. Now, when cells are copied, right clicking brings up a menu where "insert" is no longer an option. There is only "insert copied cells" which does not accomplish inserting a new row or column.

Oh well time to break an old habit I guess.