SOLVED

Go to Footer Grayed out

Copper Contributor

This is driving me crazy.

Trying to insert a Footer in Excel - documentations seems plain:

just click on Insert->Header & Footer->Go to Footer.

However, the Got to Header & Go to Footer are Grayed out (cannot click on them).

Need help on adding getting access to the Footers (i.e. make Go to Footer active, I guess)

Will tackle adding "MY Custom Footer" later - this used to be easy.

ron in shawnee

1 Reply
best response confirmed by roninkansas (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@roninkansas 

OK, FOUND IT - Absolutely crazy - particularly since Excel can't somehow tell you what is going on.  IT'S MARGINS.

Used a canned Footer (which I didn't want) and found that the Footer OVER-PRINTED on top of the data on my spreadsheet.  The PROBLEM has something to do with the Margins set up on the spreadsheet.

Apparently I had my spreadsheet set up with Custom Margins (not sure how that happened) with no room at the bottom of the spreadsheet and apparently the location of the Footer cannot be changed - so Excel won't let you mess with the Footer if there isn't room for it (i.e. "Go to Footer" greyed out), but Excel will let you add a Canned Footer (go figure).

After I reset the Margins back to Normal, everything was fine and the Go to Footer button was active - and the Footers are available in the Page Layout view (as was the Header, as is normal)  HOWEVER, the whole process is still a little tricky because you can easily get kicked out of the Footer editing if you start clicking around (short story - stay there once you get there).

OH, AND ONE LAST THING, HINT.  While playing around with this, I found that you can actually access the Headers and Footers in the Print Preview view (almost easier there).  Just click on Print Preview, then click on Margins, then on Custom Margins, then click on the Header/Footer Tab - and you will be given the opportunity to do Custom Headers and Footers there (with all the shortcut Design icons).

I am kind of a big Footer fan - and I remember this whole process being easier - but maybe it is just me getting old - still using my Cell as a phone and not an email, browser device.

ron in kansas

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by roninkansas (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@roninkansas 

OK, FOUND IT - Absolutely crazy - particularly since Excel can't somehow tell you what is going on.  IT'S MARGINS.

Used a canned Footer (which I didn't want) and found that the Footer OVER-PRINTED on top of the data on my spreadsheet.  The PROBLEM has something to do with the Margins set up on the spreadsheet.

Apparently I had my spreadsheet set up with Custom Margins (not sure how that happened) with no room at the bottom of the spreadsheet and apparently the location of the Footer cannot be changed - so Excel won't let you mess with the Footer if there isn't room for it (i.e. "Go to Footer" greyed out), but Excel will let you add a Canned Footer (go figure).

After I reset the Margins back to Normal, everything was fine and the Go to Footer button was active - and the Footers are available in the Page Layout view (as was the Header, as is normal)  HOWEVER, the whole process is still a little tricky because you can easily get kicked out of the Footer editing if you start clicking around (short story - stay there once you get there).

OH, AND ONE LAST THING, HINT.  While playing around with this, I found that you can actually access the Headers and Footers in the Print Preview view (almost easier there).  Just click on Print Preview, then click on Margins, then on Custom Margins, then click on the Header/Footer Tab - and you will be given the opportunity to do Custom Headers and Footers there (with all the shortcut Design icons).

I am kind of a big Footer fan - and I remember this whole process being easier - but maybe it is just me getting old - still using my Cell as a phone and not an email, browser device.

ron in kansas

View solution in original post