Generating links to maps using Copilot in Excel

Microsoft

Hi everyone, over the last few weeks we have had a series of posts to show you some of the things that are possible to do with Copilot in Excel.

I have a table that I downloaded showing meteorite landings, including latitude and longitude.

Table of Meteorite Landings including columns, Name, Meteorite ID, Recclass, Mass, Fall, Year, Latitude, Longitude.Table of Meteorite Landings including columns, Name, Meteorite ID, Recclass, Mass, Fall, Year, Latitude, Longitude.

I would like to make it easy to see where the locations are on a map so I ask Copilot:

Tell me how to generate a column that would take latitude and longitude and make it into a link to a bing map

Copilot in Excel Pane with the above promptCopilot in Excel Pane with the above prompt

To generate a column that converts latitude and longitude into a Bing Maps link, you can use the following formula. Assuming your latitude is in column G and longitude is in column H, you can create a new column with this formula:

=HYPERLINK("https://www.bing.com/maps?q=" & G2 & "," & H2, "Bing Map")

Here's how to do it step-by-step:

1. Insert a new column where you want the Bing Maps links to appear.
  2. In the first cell of the new column, enter the formula above.
  3. Drag the fill handle down to apply the formula to the rest of the cells in the column.

This will create clickable links to Bing Maps for each row based on the latitude and longitude values.

Over the coming weeks I will continue to share more examples of what you can do with Copilot in Excel.

Thanks for reading,

Microsoft Excel Team

*Disclaimer: If you try these types of prompts and they do not work as expected, it is most likely due to our gradual feature rollout process. Please try again in a few weeks.

1 Reply

@EricPatterson 

It looks like you have structured table as the source. Why G2 and H2 are generated instead of structured references?