SOLVED

freeze panes, freezes more than I select

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to freeze the first two rows in a spreadsheet, however when I select them then click freeze panes it ends up freezing the first 10 rows not just the two I selected. Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

16 Replies
best response confirmed by Sergei Baklan (MVP)
Solution

@jhaynie You don't have to select rows. Just select the cell directly below and to the right of where you want to freeze the rows/columns. In your case, select C1 and then "Freeze panes".

Edit: Reading this post again after a long time and realise that to freeze the first two rows requires you to select A3, then Freeze Panes. Selecting C1 and Freeze Panes will freeze the first two columns. Likewise, C3 and Freeze Panes will freeze the first two rows and columns.

Thanks! Not intuitive, but that did the trick!

@Riny_van_Eekelen Thank you. really simple solution for such an irritating problem. 

@Riny_van_Eekelen Thanks for that hint! I've struggled with this for years. Best hidden feature ever... 

@Riny_van_Eekelen  Thank you so much.  I never comment on here but I registered so that I could thank you for such an easy solution to such an annoying problem that I have struggled with and tolerated for years.  Once again I on a whim decided to ask Google World for an answer and there you were with an solution.

Curious, did you discover this one on your own?

@HDD-Portland_Realtor You're welcome. Glad I could help resolve a problem. Can't really remember when I "discovered this". I've been using Excel since it first came out. So, I guess it came "naturally". Never really thought about it, actually.

Many Thanks too. Great solution to an annoying problem.
Wow, years I've been frustrated by that, and never bothered to look. 30 second search and you fixed it :)
Not intuitive but certainly works!
@jhaynie ... lol... I have exactly the same reply as the others below - I barely ever like to comment online, but when I read your post I remember doing this oh so many years ago, but haven't used Excel much in the past 10 years... Amazing what still works!
Thankyou for the tip - I'm sure I will be lurking around here looking for more solutions to weird issues as I build up my home finance tracking spreadsheet! Yes, I know there are some great apps out there that do it, but I get a kick out of building it in Excel... I have the time, so why not... :) Cheers!!

@Riny_van_Eekelen Thank you. This was very helpful.

@Violet6357 Glad to see that an old post is still considered helpful.

@Riny_van_Eekelen I have joined this community just so I can tell you that I adore you. This has been driving me bonkers for literally years. I am completely delighted! I finally feel Excel is in my clutches! Thank you!

Yes, thank you so much. Solution not intuitive at all, have been struggling this for years.
Amazing. Thank you
If I remember correctly, I would select (in this case) line 3 and Freeze Panes. When this did not work, I saw your post and the single cell selection did work. Thank you!
Riny,

4 years later and this is still the top workaround to a less-than-intuitive issue. Cheers buddy!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Sergei Baklan (MVP)
Solution

@jhaynie You don't have to select rows. Just select the cell directly below and to the right of where you want to freeze the rows/columns. In your case, select C1 and then "Freeze panes".

Edit: Reading this post again after a long time and realise that to freeze the first two rows requires you to select A3, then Freeze Panes. Selecting C1 and Freeze Panes will freeze the first two columns. Likewise, C3 and Freeze Panes will freeze the first two rows and columns.

View solution in original post