Formula for tracking ages.

Copper Contributor

Hello Everyone,  I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate an Excel formula that tracks the age of four people for each of their respective transactions.  In other words, I need to know the spender's age at the time of each transaction. My spreadsheet has thousands of financial transactions, where each transaction contains the date, dollar amount of the expense, and the individual's name responsible for the expense.  I know each of the four individuals' dates of birth.  I guess I need some form of IF/THEN formula, but I am entirely lost after that.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

2 Replies

@Michael_OConnor If you could create a small table with the four individuals' names and birth dates, you can use VLOOKUP (or perhaps XLOOKUP if your Excel version supports it) to lookup the birth date "belonging" to each transaction. Next, deduct the birth date from the transaction date and divide by 365. Format the column with the result as a number. Then, you'll end up with the (approximate) age, of the individual at the date of the transaction. Perhaps a bit rough, but I don't know how accurate you want it to be.

@Riny_van_Eekelen Excellent, thank you. I will give that a try.