Find and Replace Consecutive Cells

Copper Contributor

I'm a bit of a novice in Excel and using 2013 Home & Student. I have a large file containing 26 sheets - each with hundreds of rows - in which I'm attempting to find specific values in consecutive cells and change them. For instance:

-When cell A1 says 2003 and cell B1 says FF, change cell B1 to SB

From what I can tell, basic Find & Replace can't search in more than one cell. I've tried joining strings using &, followed by replacing the formula with the result, finding and replacing what I need and then splitting the cell back into two columns, but various other cells are scattered liberally throughout the columns I'm searching, making it tough to copy back into its original place seamlessly. Is there anything else I can do to accomplish this, short of going one-by-one in each situation to see if it matches the condition?

3 Replies

@AndrewH716 

First thing you cannot change a cells value depending on its own value because it will create a circular reference. What you can do is to check the value of A2 and B2 in a single AND formula combined with IF or IFS to get the value you need on a seperate column and then copy this values and paste on B column as values.

@erol sinan zorlu Ah, good point. I had been going at it from a Find & Replace perspective, so I hadn't considered circular reference using functions.

With that in mind, I guess my questions boils down to: is there a way to use Find and Replace to search two cells at once?

for example IF(AND(A1="something",B1="Anotherthing"),"Desired Value If condition is true",__PUT ANOTHER IF HERE IF YOU HAVE MORE CONDITIONS or put "" to keep cells empty__)