Fetching VLOOKUP value with embedded hyperlink

Copper Contributor

I am trying to fetch a value from another sheet in the workbook from a cell which also has a hyperlink embedded. However, VLOOKUP only fetches the text and not the embedded hyperlink. How to get it to fetch the embedded hyperlink?

8 Replies

@RaeesaB Wrap the VLOOKUP in a HYPERLINK function. Something like this:

=HYPERLINK(VLOOKUP(..............))

@RaeesaB 

VLOOKUP() or other LOOKUP() functions will only be able to output the displayed text or a value. If your cell content is also the link, e.g. "www.microsoft.com", then you can use the HYPERLINK() function within VLOOKUP().

However, if you use a different text and the hyperlink is not the same as the cell content, then it becomes much more complicated.

A possible approach would be to create the LINK in your source data with the HYPERLINK() function and to search for the coordinates of the cell instead of the cell content with VLOOKUP(). Here you could then read out the hyperlink and the displayed text with FORMULATEXT().

@dscheikey 

Thanks! Could you explain your recommendation a bit?

"A possible approach would be to create the LINK in your source data with the HYPERLINK() function and to search for the coordinates of the cell instead of the cell content with VLOOKUP()."

How do you mean? Do you mean my source data should be the URL I want to link to? What would be the purpose of searching for cell coordinates? Which function would I use for this?

@RaeesaB 

I have made you a small example file that illustrates my solution. In H2 you can search for a link number. In A2:B6 are the data.

With the formula you get the cell entry with the link:

=LET(a,FORMULATEXT(INDIRECT("B"&XMATCH(H2,A2:A6)+1)),HYPERLINK(CHOOSECOLS(TEXTSPLIT(a,CHAR(34)),2),CHOOSECOLS(TEXTSPLIT(a,CHAR(34)),4)))

This only works if you have created the link with the HYPERLINK() function.

I have also made a variant without TEXTSPLIT() and CHOOSECOLS(), in case you don't use such modern Excel version or Excel for the web.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!! I'm so so grateful. If I understand correctly, this only works if links are created with HYPERLINK function as you specified. Sadly this is not the case for my data base :(

@RaeesaB 

Hi! If you haven't found a better solution yet, I can offer you to convert your cells with the links into functions with HYPERLINK(). I have found a macro for this on the net. However, it only works with LibreOffice Calc. I'm sure you can find one for Excel. But since I use Excel for the web, I cannot design / execute macros in Excel.

Copy your cells with the links into a new worksheet and send it to me. I will convert and send it back to you if you want.

It's just an offer to get you started.

@RaeesaB 

Hi, have you found a solution? I'm also having the same problem here :(

@Reezky77 I have seen multiple requests for help on this subject - but none of the answers make sense! HELP! So allow me to restate challenge. I have spreadsheet "Documents" in which Cell A2 has document name WWWZZZ and Cell B2 has the link to where that document is saved such as https://wtweathers/wwwzzz. I have another spreadsheet "Process" that references document WWWZZZ and I want to add a column (Column Z) that will use VLOOKUP for "Documents" spreadsheet to populate the link in B2 to the "Process" spreadsheet in Column Z2. The vlookup formula shows the path in text, but will not allow a hyperlink and when I attempt to copy (to paste as URL), it only copies the vlookup formula. I am attempting to have the hyperlink in Documents B2 be displayed as a hyperlink in Process Z2. Anyone? Thanks!!!!