Failure to Print Excel document

Copper Contributor

One of my Excel files won't print.  I get a msg saying "file could not be printed due to an error on (my printer name) on e03".  Do not have any problems with other Excel or other app files printing. I'm using Office 365.  Solution??

1 Reply

@Jake42Jake 

If you're experiencing an issue with printing a specific Excel file and receiving an error message stating "file could not be printed due to an error on (your printer name) on e03," you can try the following solutions to resolve the problem:

1. Restart your printer: Begin by restarting your printer to clear any temporary issues or errors it may be experiencing. Power off the printer, wait for a few seconds, and then power it back on.
  2. Test printing in other programs: Open WordPad. In a new document, type “This is a test.” On the File menu, select Print. Select OK or Print to print the file. If you couldn’t print from WordPad, the printing problem is not specific to your Microsoft 365 app. You can try fixing the problem by following steps in Fix printer connection and printing problems in Windows.
  3. Check printer connections: Ensure that your printer is properly connected to your computer or the network. Verify that the printer cables are securely plugged in and that the printer is connected to the correct network (if applicable).
  4. Update printer drivers: Outdated or incompatible printer drivers can sometimes cause printing errors. Visit the website of your printer manufacturer and download and install the latest drivers for your printer model. Alternatively, you can use the Windows Update feature to automatically search and install the appropriate printer drivers.
  5. Print to a different printer: Try printing the Excel file to a different printer, if available. This will help determine if the issue is specific to your printer or related to the Excel file itself.
  6. Check Excel file for printing issues: Open the problematic Excel file and review it for any elements that may be causing the printing error. Remove any special formatting, complex graphics, or large file sizes that could potentially be problematic for printing. You can also try copying the contents of the Excel file to a new workbook and then attempt to print the new workbook.
  7. Print as PDF: If you're unable to print the Excel file directly, you can try printing it as a PDF document. Install a PDF printer driver (such as Adobe Acrobat or other PDF conversion software), and then "print" the Excel file to PDF format. Once converted, you can open the PDF file and print it normally.
  8. Repair or reinstall Microsoft Office: If none of the above solutions work, there may be an issue with your Office installation. Open the Control Panel, navigate to the Programs and Features section, find Microsoft Office 365, and choose the "Repair" option. If repairing doesn't resolve the problem, you may need to uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Office.