Excel

Copper Contributor

I cannot enable the insert or delete rows  in my spreadsheet. I've read and tried multiple suggestions, but haven't found the right one. Please Help!

9 Replies

@Susanna_FranciaLML521 

If you are unable to insert or delete rows in your Excel spreadsheet, there are a few common reasons and solutions to consider:

1. Protected Sheet: If the worksheet is protected, you won't be able to insert or delete rows. To check if the sheet is protected, go to the "Review" tab on the Excel ribbon and look for the "Unprotect Sheet" button. If it is active, click it, and you will be prompted to enter the sheet password (if it was protected with a password). Once unprotected, you should be able to insert or delete rows.
  2. Protected Workbook Structure: If the entire workbook structure is protected, it will prevent you from inserting or deleting rows. To check if the workbook structure is protected, go to the "Review" tab on the Excel ribbon and look for the "Protect Workbook" button. If it is active, click it, and you will be prompted to enter the workbook password (if it was protected with a password). Once unprotected, you should be able to insert or delete rows.
  3. Shared Workbook: If the workbook is shared with other users, certain features like inserting or deleting rows might be restricted. To check if the workbook is shared, go to the "Review" tab on the Excel ribbon and look for the "Share Workbook" button. If it is active, click it, and you will see the sharing settings. To enable inserting or deleting rows, you might need to unshare the workbook or make necessary changes to the sharing options.
  4. Cell Protection: If specific cells or rows are protected, you won't be able to insert or delete rows in those areas. To check if cells or rows are protected, select the cells or rows in question and right-click. Choose "Format Cells," go to the "Protection" tab, and make sure the "Locked" option is unchecked. Additionally, check if there are any explicit cell or row protection settings applied, and remove them if necessary.
  5. If your Excel spreadsheet has grouped rows, it can also affect the ability to insert or delete rows. When you group rows in Excel, it creates an outline that allows you to collapse or expand certain sections of the data. However, when rows are grouped, Excel may restrict the insertion or deletion of rows to maintain the grouping structure
  6. Row Limit: Excel has a limit of 1,048,576 rows. If your spreadsheet has reached this limit, you won't be able to insert additional rows. In this case, consider creating a new sheet or workbook to continue your data entry.

By checking these potential issues and applying the appropriate solutions, you should be able to enable the insert and delete rows functionality in your Excel spreadsheet. The text and the steps are the result of various AI's put together.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

@Susanna_FranciaLML521 

Is that on any workbook or on some specific one?

@SergeiBaklan 

Good morning Sergie.

Thank you for your quick reply. Your question: 

Is that on any workbook or on some specific one? I really don't know since this is the first time I'm making a large data spreadsheet since I purchased a new Microsoft Windows 11 Home Edition software. I'm going to try all your troubleshooting suggestions from you follow up email. I'll let you know what happens. 

Have a wonderful day,

Susanna

@Susanna_FranciaLML521 

Hi Susanna,

Yes, please try on any new workbook. If it works most probably it's something wrong with your old file. If not, try to Repair an Office application - Microsoft Support

Well I tried suggestion 1 and it didn't work. Then I saw your email and opened a new spreadsheet and it deletes and inserts rows just fine. I will try the other suggests. If that doesn't work I will contact support to repair an Office application.
Thanks,
Susanna
How do I send you a screenshot or picture?

@Susanna_FranciaLML521 

You may share screenshot trough this menu in Reply.

image.png

Alternatively you may put the file on OneDrive, give access to everyone and share the link.

@Susanna_FranciaLML521 

If in new workbook it works that means something is wrong with your old file. Does it have any kind of protection?

@NikolinoDE 

Hello,

I tried all your suggestions and unfortunately they didn’t work to solve the spreadsheet problem. I’m reaching out to the IT person at my former work. I’m hoping he will get back to me soon.

Thank you,

Susanna