Excel Template That Fills in Blanks in a .txt file

Copper Contributor

I have a text file that I would like to fill in specific parts of.  I would like to create a template in Excel that allows me to fill in these specific parts of the text file.  Then, once I have finished filling out the Excel spreadsheet, I would like to export and download the filled out text file.  Is this possible to do in Excel and if so, how would that be done?

3 Replies

@nharding 

In reading what you've written, I must confess I just wonder "What's stopping you?" What you describe sounds very straight forward.

Have you actually created this text file in Excel? If not, why not give it a try.

If you have, and saved it as a template, what happens?

Anyway, Yes, it can be done" Just create that generic text. And "Save As Template" and pick a name.

Here -- I did one called "InvoiceTemp.xlsx" --- if you change the numbers, they'll be added for you. Saved as a template it will take on the suffix "xltx" but those are barred from being uploaded to this website.

If the "export and download" part is what's stymied you, although they seem kind of redundant, I think you can just "print to PDF".

If none of this makes sense , please give a more complete description of what you've tried and what's happened or not happened.

@mathetes 

Thank you for this information.  I have attached the text file that I am trying to ultimately edit via Excel.  The fields that I would like to replace via the Excel template are filled in with "XXXXXXXX."  As you can see, they are whole lines of text so I'm not sure how I would be able to have Excel fill in just those spots.  If I made them their own cells, I could do it but I don't know if I'd still be able to export it to a text file and have it still retain the proper formatting.

I had to convert the text file to pdf so that I could attach it to this comment.

@nharding 

Ahhh....your initial description sounded nothing like this.

One of my questions at the start (I deleted it before I posted my initial response) was to ask whether or not Excel is actually what you needed.

Now that I see this, I don't see any specific reason for excel to be used.... so let me ask: why not import to MS Word where you can, I believe, use "Search and Replace" or maybe it's called "Find and Replace" to find the fields in question. And I think you could export or "Save As..." a txt file.