Excel Styles Pane - How to dock or keep open

Copper Contributor

Hello.

In Excel 365 is there a way to dock or keep open the cell styles pane like what used to be possible in prior versions of Excel?  I have to believe there is some way to do this.  Thanks!

2 Replies

@sep23 

If you don't mind a bit of VBA code, this code adds the styles drop-down to your add-ins tab:

Sub AddStylesBoxToAddInsTab()
    Dim oCb As CommandBar
    Dim cControl As CommandBarControl
    On Error Resume Next
    Application.CommandBars("Temp").Delete
    Set oCb = Application.CommandBars("Temp")
    Set oCb = Application.CommandBars.Add("Temp", , True, True)
    Set cControl = oCb.Controls.Add(ID:=1732)
    oCb.Visible = True
End Sub

The code needs to be run each time Excel starts.

I love Excel and yet find various irritations growing as 'they' add features without fixing - or sometimes deprecating - old ones. This is anothe example.
Styles attached to Themes is great to save time - BUT can quickly devolve into chaos - and without the convenience of a fixed window how is a user meant to control it? e.g. my current theme has 100 useless shade variations - and each one needs deleting ONE BY ONE!
Then (like Word) styles seem to accumulate from manual formatting or something and there isn't a simple tool to prevent or fix this either. Luckily there are good people with VBA skills!
(Especially frustrating when e.g. formatting pop-outs for features like charts is available, i.e. it's not as if this feature would be outside the Excel design language.)
I would like to think MS is taking these comments into account but I'm not even sure what forum I'm on...