excel spreadsheet not multiplying correctly

Copper Contributor

I am multiplying a column with square feet with a column with a dollar figure and the answer is incorrect when checked with a calculator. 

I cannot figure out why this is happening. 

17 Replies

@shawv921 

You typed the wrong numbers into the calculator.

I am multiplying a column with $13.77 with a column that has 1015 square feet to get the total cost of the square footage. the answer in Excel is 123,973.13. My calculator has $13976.55.
sorry
I am multiplying a column with $13.77 with a column that has 1015 square feet to get the total cost of the square footage. the answer in Excel is $13,973.13. My calculator has $13976.55.

@shawv921 

Excel gives the same number

image.png

@shawv921 

The most likely explanation is that either 13.17 is not exactly equal to 13.17, or 1015 is not exactly equal to 1015 (or both).

Select the cells with these values and format them as Number with 15 decimal places. What do you see? (You may have to widen the columns they're in to see the full result)

@Hans Vogelaar 

But that could not explain this magnitude of difference.

@Detlef Lewin 

Did you see @shawv921's reply with a correction?

I don't understand what you are showing me in the row.
Row 2 has the correct answer
Row 3 has the incorrect answer in my spread sheet.

@Hans Vogelaar 

Ah, missed that one.

I changed the sq. ft. values to numbers with 15 decimal places.
I changed the cost per sq. ft. to numbers with 15 decimal places.
I changed the cost per sq. ft to numbers with 15 decimal places.
in my shared spread sheet I have listed the calculator answers and what the cost per sq. ft. should be.
I have a feeling it is my desired 5.33 percentage increase that is messing things up?

@shawv921 

In C3 we have number 13.7666305418719 which is shown as 13.77 due to format applied. You may check what are numbers actually are applying General format (or Number with 15 digits) and wider the column.

@shawv921 

5.33 percentage is something new here. Perhaps you may share how exactly you receive 13.77 (by formula and which one, or manually entered).

I am not sure if you can see my changes on my spread sheet. do I need to share it again?
I have reformatted the columns to numbers + 15 decimals.

@shawv921 

"share it again?" - sorry, I see no file shared. That will be perfect if you share it.

@shawv921 

We cannot access that workbook.