Excel spreadsheet disappeared and I cannot recover it

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I spent two hours today creating an excel spreadsheet in Excel for Mac.  First the spinning wheel of death came on and then it crashed and I could not find the spreadsheet I created. I didn't name it, or physically save it. I created it this morning between 7:30 am - 9:30 am central Daylight time. When I tried to re-open about 11 am, the spinning wheel came on and then I couldn't find the file.

2 Replies

@LindaG975 

If you didn't manually save the file or give it a name before encountering the spinning wheel of death, there is a possibility that the file was not saved at all.

But still, here are some possible methods by which you can recover the unsaved file-

1. Check if the Auto-Recover Feature saved a copy of your file. Go to File menu > Open Recent > Recover Unsaved Workbooks.
  2. There might be a temporary copy of your file in a folder. Go to Finder > Go > Go to Folder > Enter the following path "~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Excel/Data/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/Office 16/Excel AutoRecovery" and click Go. Look if your file is there.

I highly doubt that this will work as your file was not manually saved, but it's no harm in giving it a shot. If your file was really really important, i'd suggest you use a data recovery tool to recover it.

I wish you the best of luck.

Best Regards.

A few months ago I faced the same problem as you are asking for a solution here so I tried the manual method first but that was not workable for me so we shared this problem with my friend he is a professional technical expert so he suggested the Softaken MS Excel Recovery Software and it was helpful for me it helps me to recover a spreadsheet that I accidentally deleted and it is an error-free solution. I am 100 percent here you can easily recover your multiple contents from an Excel-corrupted workbook and spreadsheet. This effectively works to recover Excel files. This is a quick and best solution to repair all deleted, damaged, and inaccessible Excel spreadsheets. Through this tool, you can repair when you are not able to access your Excel file because of damage in this case you can here easily and instantly repair the damaged Excel file. This Tool supports to repair of Excel files of MS Office 2021, 2019,2016,2013, 2010, etc. You can easily download this tool on Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7, and previous versions.