Excel Programming Language?

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I am visiting Excel programming after a long time and wanted to know if VBA that still exists within Excel will be supported going into future. I see ADO libraries within and am starting on a database solution into Excel with charts and wanted to know if this can be continued or there is another language that Microsoft would like us to use for programming Office apps. I am using Excel that comes with Office 365. Would appreciate advice from those deeply into Excel programming and what is your recommendation. 

Thanks,

AKM

3 Replies

@AK_Mirle 

VBA is still supported, and there is no sign that it will be discontinued - there are simply too many solutions depending on VBA for that.

However, VBA only works in the desktop versions of Office applications for Windows and MacOS. It does not work in the online (browser) versions. In the online version, you can use Office Scripts in Excel on the web 

@AK_Mirle 

If we speak about "database solution" perhaps Power Query and Power Pivot, with their M-script and DAX support, could be enough. These days to use OLE DB directly worth only for quite specific cases.

Thank you @Hans Vogelaar and @Sergei Baklan for your input. Will use VBA as I need the Visual Basic GUI within, where in the user interacts with the data for selections, filters, etc.