SOLVED

Excel pivot table search question

Copper Contributor

Hi, Does anyone know how to check multiple boxes when you create an excel pivot table, where the options are different numbers? Basically, I create a pivot table and want to display the results that are associated with different ID numbers. Right now, I can search on the search box and immediately identify one ID however, I do not know how to add other IDs to my search. Is there a key I can hold so I can keep the previous ID checked while searching for other numbers? I have a PC.

6 Replies
Hello,

The question is unclear.. Kindly re-word

@Abiola1 

Hi, Suppose that you have an excel file with 10K rows of data and 10 columns, where one of the columns is an ID (6 digit number) column. You have multiple rows of data associated with multiple IDs, i.e you can have 500 rows of data with Id#1, 200 rows of data associated with Id#2, 400 rows of data associated with ID#3... until Id#50. I need to gather data for Ids# 1, #10, #15, #35. I create a pivot table by selecting my rage, Insert, Pivot Table, then selecting my filters and my rows of data. One of my filters is called "Id", which is a 6 digit number. If I need to find a 6 digit number ID, I just type the number on the filter box and all items with that number will be checked. Now, I need to find a different ID keeping the first one checked. Once I try searching again, the first search is unchecked. As I have 50 different IDs and have to select 4 of 5 of them, how can I search, select and move to the next search without unchecking the first Id?  I just need to add to my search without unchecking the first search.  Thank you!

@CW_Excel123  I think you are using the filter field on the pivot table to find particular entries?  Why not go to the original table and just use the filters on the table header(s) to find what you want?

best response confirmed by CW_Excel123 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@CW_Excel123 

This sample on PivotTable with dates, but that doesn't matter. My initial filter

image.png

after I do the search and add data to filter

image.png

Result is

image.png

@Sergei Baklan 

Hi Sergei, This is exactly what I need. It does work! Thank you very much!

@CW_Excel123 , you are welcome, glad to help

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by CW_Excel123 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@CW_Excel123 

This sample on PivotTable with dates, but that doesn't matter. My initial filter

image.png

after I do the search and add data to filter

image.png

Result is

image.png

View solution in original post