Excel not formatting correctly even at cell level technical issue

Copper Contributor

Hi I have been passed here by the online chat support section as they have told me I have a technical issue.

I am using my excel on this pc for the first time and I think I have had a problem on the download . 

I cannot get the formatting to work correctly on even basic cell formatting . I have tried clearing formatting on cell/entire sheet .

For example :

I enter 95.50 and try to convert in the cell(s) this to £95.50 .... it doesn't work and I get 95,00. 

If I then try to do a basic simple autosum it wont work at all again even after clearing ALL formatting and data etc from the cell(s).

Can someone help or advice how I can remove and re-download this element of office again please ... I am trying to do my tax return !!!!!!! 

5 Replies

@binkyboo 

nce the possibilities in Excel are very diverse, the possible sources of error (not necessarily to be looked for in Excel) are also diverse.

Therefore, with your permission, please download a file (without sensitive data) with this problem so that the error can be reconstructed.

At the same time, I would ask you to name the Excel version and the operating system, as there may be different approaches to the proposed solution.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

thanks here is the version 

Version : 18.2008.12711.0

and attached a copy onto a new worksheet of some of the data .

many thanks for your help

@binkyboo 

Please check your regional settings, perhaps decimal symbol on your PC is comma, not dot. You may Win+R, type control international, Enter, Additional settings, Numbers, Decimal symbol.

In the file all numbers are entered as texts, thus SUM() returns zero - it ignores all texts. You may convert them column by column to numbers using Data->Text to Columns, but first better to understand what is correct format for numbers in your PC. Try 1.23 and 1,23 - number will be aligned to the right, and text to the left.

@binkyboo 

With the permission of everyone involved, here is an additional route to your goal

How to switch to English numbers

Go to the File - Options - Advanced dialog.

In the first area, editing options,

switch off the default setting Use separators from operating system

and then enter the desired characters below.

To change to an English or American representation, simply exchange the content of the two fields:

How to switch to English numbers.

Don't forget to undo this setting for normal tables.

To do this, all you have to do is tick the box again, and the program will take over the country settings of your Windows.

From now on, English numbers will no longer be used, but the representation you would otherwise use.

If you then change the period with a comma in the numbers in the cells of your file, you will see the currency symbol.

In the file you should see the change in cell A1, it is correct for me.

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

@NikolinoDE 

I'd do not recommend to change Excel settings on different from OS one to avoid extra headache.