SOLVED

Excel no longer accepting a combine cells command?

Copper Contributor

Dear Community,

I have a very large file in which I have entered dates in three columns (day month and year) I am attempting to turn these into ISO weeks. Two days ago I used the formula suggested to combine cells and then added a / to replace the spaces and then used a small macro to generate iso week numbers but the program crashed when I attempted to then sort and copy the weekly means (on numbers of mosquitoes) and stupidly not having saved the file as I went along I lost it all. Today I have tried again using the =Cell&" "Cell&" " Cell formula and keep getting an error message. I have made sure that all the cells are seen as numbers etc but still get the error message. It worked 2 days ago. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for any help

3 Replies

@jdcharlwood 

Don't forget the & after each part of the formula.

=Cell&" "&Cell&" "&Cell should work.

best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @jdcharlwood,

You made it wrong. You have to write for example:

A2&" "&B2

but you can also check out the official documentation, where it's explained again:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/combine-text-from-two-or-more-cells-into-one-cell-81ba094...

Best regards,
Schnittlauch

"First, No system is safe. Second, Aim for the impossible. Third no Backup, no Mercy" - Schnittlauch

My answer helped you? Don't forget to leave a like. Also mark the answer as solved when your problem is solved. :)

Many thanks. I managed to concatenate the data. My apologies for using your time - I hope that I can still count on your help in future. My best wishes, Derek @jdcharlwood 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @jdcharlwood,

You made it wrong. You have to write for example:

A2&" "&B2

but you can also check out the official documentation, where it's explained again:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/combine-text-from-two-or-more-cells-into-one-cell-81ba094...

Best regards,
Schnittlauch

"First, No system is safe. Second, Aim for the impossible. Third no Backup, no Mercy" - Schnittlauch

My answer helped you? Don't forget to leave a like. Also mark the answer as solved when your problem is solved. :)

View solution in original post