Excel loses focus after formula error message

Copper Contributor

Hi All.

I've just started having an recurring problem with Excel where it loses focus after I receive an error message related to entering a formula incorrectly.  The problem is consistent, and when it happens, I need to click on the worksheet, into any cell to get focus back before I can continue.

I've tried the following, but the problem persists:

• Problem persist on two separate instances of excel, my work instance and home instance.  Two separate licenses (and versions... pro vs home).  What's the same for these two instances are standard macros that I use.  So, removed the Book.xlsm, Sheet.xlsm and Personal.xlsb completely from both instances - no change.
  • Started Excel in safe mode.  Interesting, in safe mode, the first time I get the error message, it works fine, but not directly afterwards.  As I continue to create error messages, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but one thing that is consistent is that after it works properly once, the next time an error is generated, it loses focus.
  • Disabled virus protection - no change
  • Disabled ALL add-ins.  - no change
  • Thinking it might have something to do with the keyboard, tried a wired vs the wireless keyboard I normally use. - no change
  • Disabled as many startup programs as seemed ok to do. - no change
  • Ran Excel with no other application running in the background. - no change
  • I didn't try to restart the computer in safe mode because when I attempted it, some of the messages I got regarding bitlocker made me nervous.

Is there anything else you can think of that may cause this to be happening?

Thanks,

1 Reply

@donjr 

Without the intention to sound like a physician, kindly let us know the symptoms (describe how Excel loses focus) and the diagnosis (specify the error message you receive upon entering a formula) before we can assume the possible causes, suggest a potential treatment, and recommend prevention measures.