Excel Limits

Copper Contributor

Hi Excel experts,

Firstly let me say that Excel is an amazing product that I use every day of my working life. However, because I use it so heavily I do run into limits, which I guess are more related to the hardware than the software.

Let me give you an example. I have a dozen or more large workbooks. Each of these Workbooks has a footprint in RAM of about 1gb, and probably contains 1 million + calculations. The books are divided into 12 Worksheets, each of which contains about 100,000 calculations. Each worksheet is independent of all others.  Each Workbook takes about 90 seconds to open and 10 seconds to recalculate (much improved with Windows 10).

At this size, and with my hardware, the Workbooks are stable and reliable. Excel appears to be distributing the load well across the four cores.

(At present I use a reasonably hi-end desktop, 2 x Dual core i7 processors, 16gb of RAM).

If I go beyond 15 Worksheets/Workbook i.e. 1.5gb and 1.5 million calculations, I presume I reach the limits of my hardware because the books become unstable and start to crash regularly.

My questions is this:

I would like to double the size of my Workbooks. In the experience of the Excel team, if I were to specify for example, a Dual Processor/12 core machine i.e. 24 cores total, would Excel be able to take advantage of all those cores, or are there limits? Would each core be able to process individual Worksheets. I don't mind spending the money to take advantage of Excel, but I don't want to waste money!

Any thoughts appreciated.

Marcus

2 Replies

Hi Marcus,

I think that your computer is strong enough to handle these workbooks that you have!

Make sure that the software is upgraded!

Someone like you needs to:

1. 64-Bit version of Windows 10 with the latest update.
  2. 64-bit version of Excel 2016 with the latest update.

NOTE: Windows 10 presents huge improvements in terms of RAM management and consumption, and Excel 2016 as well.

If that doesn't work, you can go ahead and upgrade your computer!

Useful Links:

Excel specifications and limits

Excel performance: Performance and limit improvements

Hi Haytham,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

I decided to test your advice and upgraded to Excel 2016 (from 2010 64-bit). 

Horrendous! What are Microsoft thinking! There's so much wasted space on the top and bottom bars, that it's like looking at my charts through a letter box. 

I can see that they're trying to make Excel tablet friendly, but at the expense of heavy desktop users. You would have thought they'd be able to give you a button for Desktop/Tablet view.

In terms of performance; 2016 was slightly slower to open Workbooks and definitely less stable with flashing white pages. In terms of Refresh/Recalculate times, it was about the same as 2010 (64-bit). 

Finally, I had a whole bunch of issues 'Exiting' Excel. It frequently refused to exit and I had to force quit.

All around horrible. It lasted 24 hours before it was uninstalled.

Thanks anyway.

Marcus