SOLVED

Excel geography data type does not recognise data that Bing maps does

Brass Contributor

I am extracting data out of a real-estate website into excel. I have noticed that if I denote the data as Geography, excel gets confused and displays a ?. However, when I copy and paste the same address into Bing maps, it resolves just fine. is there a way around this to excel will recognize the address as a valid geographic data?

6 Replies

hi @Sayan Ghosh ! Would you pls. decscribe more details? I would like to know following: Which Excel Version are you working on? In my Excel 365 i have a new object in the "INSERT" Tab, called Cards. There i can relate a geographic chart with my geographic (bing) dates.  If it doesnt, pls. send a screenshot from what is wrong doing in your special workbook. Greets, Eva.

Hi Sayan,

Even if Geography data type, as well as Map Charts, use Bing engine, it's far from Bing maps in places recognitions. That's not the same.

You may help to engine a bit if you place your data in Excel table with proper column names (Country, City, …).  Or click on question mark and add some more information in right pane to find the place.

And Geography data type doesn't work with small geography objects. Do you have information about your ones in Wiki?

Thanks @Sergei Baklan and @Eva Vogel - appreciate your responses. I think I misiterpreted the capability a bit, I thought it would auto recognize any geography records and offer me options around that. It seems it may not be that, and it would work with less granular objects such as city. Are there any docs that speak to the geography capability a bit more - with the nature / type  / granularity supported - I have looked at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/excel-data-types-stocks-and-geography-61a33056-9935-484f-8a... briefly?

In terms of version I am on Office 365 ProPlus, Version 1812 (Build 11126.20266 CTR), Monthly Channel.

Attached is a screenshot of my data:

geo data excel.png

best response confirmed by Sayan Ghosh (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi Sayan,

I didn't see details docs of what exactly is supported. In this blog https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Excel-Blog/Preview-of-Stocks-and-Geography-New-Data-Types-in-... Zip and Cities are mentioned on low level after countries.

I guess concrete addresses are not supported. If you create table like this

image.png

and apply to it Geography data type only last two fields will be recognized

image.png

Thanks @Sergei Baklan - appreciate that! I can surely do that and see what that gets me. I will also add a comment on the official docs to request more details on the granularity level, it seems at least suburb will be good to have. Again, appreciate all the help!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Sayan Ghosh (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi Sayan,

I didn't see details docs of what exactly is supported. In this blog https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Excel-Blog/Preview-of-Stocks-and-Geography-New-Data-Types-in-... Zip and Cities are mentioned on low level after countries.

I guess concrete addresses are not supported. If you create table like this

image.png

and apply to it Geography data type only last two fields will be recognized

image.png

View solution in original post