Excel Formula Combinations

Copper Contributor

Hi All

I am in the process of performing a data mining project in an excel spreadsheet and versus continuing to copy and paste data from one trio of cells into another trio of cells, I am hoping for the right formula that would replicate the data inputs, where applicable.

Note, the data is sorted properly and fills up 8 columns in total and. Because the data in each cell/row do not necessarily mirror one another, that does not mean that its match does not appear in another row (maybe up or down the sheet) and so a simple =() formula is not ideal. I am trying to alleviate the copy and paste method and am hoping for a formula that can be used which will auto populate the data in a new cell, whenever there is a match, possibly an IF(AND) statement

Here are the column headers

ABCD and EFGH each have Name Tel, Email, DOB within its cells

I enter my data into cells BCD and need the data to appear in FGH also, when A and E match.

Is this possible? thanks

1 Reply

@Hilaire_Isley Perhaps you mean something like in the attached workbook. Using VLOOKUP or the "new" XLOOKUP function, you can find a match between column E and A and then pick-up the information from B, C and D. Note that XLOOKUP may not (yet) be available for your Excel version.

You can read more about VLOOKUP in the link below.  The article will also refer you to XLOOKUP.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vlookup-function-0bbc8083-26fe-4963-8ab8-93a18ad188a1