SOLVED

Excel filter issues

Copper Contributor

Hi

I have an excel file with dates (month) from 01/07/2016 to 30/05/2017.

Excel is only filtering the top 4 months on the list. (everytime I sort the date, either from oldest to newest or vice versa) There are no spaces, I've removed and added the filter, copied and pasted the data etc. and tried and the filter doesn't seem to work properly. The file is attached. I have Excel 2016 and Office 365. If someone can help me resolve this please, would really appreciate it!

Many thanks..

15 Replies

Hi

There is a limit.

Items displayed in filter drop-down lists

There is a known issue in Excel 1706 with date filters not showing all the dates of the data in the column.

Currently, the only workaround is to roll back to Excel 1705, where the problem does not occur. This article explains how to roll back to a previous version. 

Another couple workarounds could be

1) Use search filter

SearchFilter.JPG

SearchFilter1.JPG

SearchFilter2.JPG

2) Convert data to table and use the slicer, for this particular case it's not too big

Slicer.JPG

best response confirmed by P DS (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Sergei, the Excel version 1706 has a known problem with filters. It has been reported to the Excel developers. Search filters will not help in this scenario, because Excel does not include some date ranges in the filter in the first place. The search only searches in what the filter already includes. If the filter does not include it, it cannot be discovered by search. 

Ingeborg, perhaps on some concrete builds. I'm on 1706 and search workaround works with me.

Version.JPG

And for 10,000 limit same Microsoft gives https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/295971/not-all-items-are-displayed-in-the-autofilter-pivott...

We're still gathering reports on which versions and builds show the problem.

It may be just a few builds of the 1706 version, not all of them.

Sergei, I can confirm that the workaround you posted does not resolve the issue when it occurs. You can see in the attached screenshot that the filter does not find the dates, even though they are present in the column.  You may not be able to reproduce the issue, but that does not mean that it doesn't exist for others. 

2017-07-10_22-24-15.jpg

Ingeborg, please try 06 instead of June. Search filter for such cases works with date format string.

Apr01.JPG

Apr02.JPG

@Sergei Baklan Yes, it finds the dates. Still, the list not showing all the dates is a bug.

@Ingeborg Hawighorst, I agree that's a bug, all dates in the list are calculated as unique ones, thus have 10000 limit. I only gave possible workaround.

Thank you!
Thank you!! Yes I think it's a bug as before the upgrade to the new version of excel, we didn't come across such an issue
Thank you
Sorry, this is the wrong place, but as a new subscriber, I cannot find a way to make a new post on a new topic.
I want to filter an Excel file, showing those cells that contain strikethrough text. I cannot find a way to do this, even in Advanced. How should I do it?
Thank you

Hi @C V Horie ,

Please publish as new topic - go to https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Excel/bd-p/ExcelGeneral and click Start a New Conversation

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by P DS (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Sergei, the Excel version 1706 has a known problem with filters. It has been reported to the Excel developers. Search filters will not help in this scenario, because Excel does not include some date ranges in the filter in the first place. The search only searches in what the filter already includes. If the filter does not include it, it cannot be discovered by search. 

View solution in original post