Excel Expanded Row Headings

Occasional Visitor

I am trying to figure out how to add these expandable row headings (Yellow Highlights) to my Excel spreadsheets but I cant figure out what they are called so I cant google. Can anyone assist?

2 Replies


It is called an Outline. You'll find outlining options in the Outline group of the Data tab of the ribbon.

See for example:

Outline (group) data in a worksheet 

Outlining Data 

best response confirmed by Broadcast (Occasional Visitor)

@Broadcast These are created using the group functions in the data tab.