Copilot for Microsoft 365 Tech Accelerator
Feb 28 2024 07:00 AM - Feb 29 2024 10:30 AM (PST)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

Excel Conditonal Formatting Duplicate Rules Button has Disappeared

Copper Contributor

Pretty much title, when I closed and reopened my file, the Duplicate Rules button in the Rules Manager of Conditional Formatting was gone. I have tried to repair the Office apps already, and restarted the app, neither has fixed it. Thanks for any help you can provide.

8 Replies

As an update, I have now uninstalled and reinstalled Office, and checked the file on a different computer. The button is only not there on my computer. Microsoft Support is useless, if anyone has any ideas, please help.

@Stormhaven13 

Sorry, I don't have a solution, but I just wanted to add that I have the same problem.

I am a new user of Excel2019 having only just migrated from Excel2003, so it's not that I've lost the Duplicate Rules button, it's just not there in my copy of Excel2019.

@NickP29 

When you create a rule, you should find it in Conditional Formatting > Highlight Cells Rules > Duplicate Values...

HansVogelaar_0-1704984104555.png

When you edit an existing rule:

HansVogelaar_1-1704984156185.png

@Hans Vogelaar 

I may have misunderstood you, but you seem to be referring to "Duplicate Values" rather than "Duplicate Rule".

I did try what you showed (I think), but it highlighted the wrong cells in a different format than (ie. not duplicating) an existing rule I had created.

@NickP29 

Sorry about that.

Which version of Office/Excel are you on, and which platform? (Windows, Mac, online, ...)

Office 2019 on Windows 10
best response confirmed by Peter Bartholomew (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@NickP29 

That explains it - the Duplicate Rule button is available in Excel in Microsoft 365, not in Office 2019.

Ok. Thanks for your help and answer, Hans.
I have found an alternative (although less satisfactory) solution using Format Painter.
I'd just also add that finding the correct MS Office help can be quite difficult/confusing with different functionality in different recent yet contemporaneous versions of Office products.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Peter Bartholomew (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@NickP29 

That explains it - the Duplicate Rule button is available in Excel in Microsoft 365, not in Office 2019.

View solution in original post