SOLVED

Excel Columns width and heights measured in pixels instead of inches

Copper Contributor

I want the Columns width and heights measured in inches instead of pixels. I have contacted Microsoft Support 3 times concerning this and even purchased an update to 2021 Office on 5/18/2023. I have gone on line and followed all the instructions, nothing works. In Excel Options > Advanced > Ruler units drop down is set to Inches. This has to be a concern with other users as well.

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@KimCCalvert 

I believe this is for Page Layout view specifically.

From the support article:

• If you are working in Page Layout view (View tab, Workbook Views group, Page Layout button), you can specify a column width or row height in inches, centimeters and millimeters. The measurement unit is in inches by default. Go to File > Options > Advanced > Display > select an option from the Ruler Units list. If you switch to Normal view, then column widths and row heights will be displayed in points.Change the column width and row height - Microsoft Support

@Patrick2788 

Yeah, doesn't work in Normal View. Thanks

Command does not exist to change display to inches

KevinBD_0-1702217085286.png

@Patrick2788 

@KevinBD 
Your screen capture is from Word.

This is from Excel:

Patrick2788_0-1702219077288.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@KimCCalvert 

I believe this is for Page Layout view specifically.

From the support article:

• If you are working in Page Layout view (View tab, Workbook Views group, Page Layout button), you can specify a column width or row height in inches, centimeters and millimeters. The measurement unit is in inches by default. Go to File > Options > Advanced > Display > select an option from the Ruler Units list. If you switch to Normal view, then column widths and row heights will be displayed in points.Change the column width and row height - Microsoft Support

View solution in original post