EXCEL Alt shortcut keys problem

Copper Contributor

A couple weeks ago I noticed that Alt+[key] navigation shortcuts started replacing cell contents with odd symbols or cell address instead.

For example, Alt+[pg up] after navigating, I release the keys.  The destination cell now has a ´ (acute accent) instead of original cell contents. I also find  ♥ after releasing alt+[pg dn] instead of the expected cell contents.  Experiments with function key +alt +[key] did not fix the issue.

Was there something in the last update that broke alt shortcuts navigation?

How can I restore alt+[key] to original settings? 

22 Replies
How do you reset Excel settings to default?
Click on the "Tools" menu and then click "Customize.".
Right-click the menu you want to restore and then click the "Reset" button.
This will restore the menu to its original settings.
Consequently, restoring all the menus will restore Microsoft Excel to its defaults.

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino
I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote any reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

@NikolinoDE 

I don't have a Tools menu in EXCEL. 

Topr row = File  Home  Insert  Draw  Page Layout  Formulas  Data  Review  View  Help

I do have a Table Tools ribbon when I click a cell in the table.

@mmserp_ 

Show the ribbon

The Ribbon has multiple display options to fit your preferences, but with an errant click, you can unintentionally hide your Ribbon.

If the Excel ribbon is minimized so that only tab names are visible, do one of the following to get it back to a normal full display:

• Press the ribbon shortcut Ctrl + F1.
  • Double-click on any ribbon tab to make the entire ribbon visible again.

Pin the ribbon. For this, click on any tab to temporarily view the ribbon.

A small pin icon will appear at the lower right corner in Excel 2016 and 2019 (the arrow in Excel 2013), and you click on it to always show the ribbon.

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

@mmserp_ 

Please check if you have same effect in safe mode. How to do

- close all Excel workbooks if you have opened

- assuming you are on Windows Desktop, press Win+R

- enter excel /safe

If in safe mode Alt shortcuts work, that means some macro or add-in doesn't allow to use them, that's only to find which one.

If the same is in safe mode, that could be that some Windows app which run as the service overrides the shortcuts. If run Windows in safe mode perhaps it will be possible to find that.

Finally you may try reinstall office with full repair as instructed here Repair an Office application - Office Support (microsoft.com) 

Above are only steps which I'd try to do in same situation, but I don't know if they help or not. Had no such practical experience.

By the way "Tool" menu is from Excel 2007 or so time.

@mmserp_ 

If I may add to Mr Balkan's comment. Before you do a new installation, go to the "Control Panel" and do an Office repair. Otherwise, please follow Mr. Baklan's instructions step by step.

Microsoft Office: Repair Tips for Windows

To repair the Office Click-to-Run application, follow these steps as appropriate for the version of Windows that the computer is running.

Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 8:

1. On the Windows Start screen, type Control Panel.
  2. Click or tap Control Panel.
  3. Under Programs, click or tap Uninstall a program.
  4. Click or tap MicrosoftOffice 365, and then click or tap Change.
  5. Click or tap QuickRepair, and then click or tap Repair. You may have to restart your computer after the repair process is complete. 

To repair Microsoft Office using on-board tools, first open the Control Panel.

Click on Apps and Functions / Features in the pop-up menu, then select Microsoft Office.

To do this, click on "Change". The entire Office suite will now be repaired. If you only want to repair a single application such as Word, look for the specific name of the app.

If you are using Windows 7, Vista or 8, click in the Control Panel on "Category", then on "Programs" and then select "Uninstall a program". With a click of the right mouse button on the program to be repaired, you can select the option "Change".

More options for Click-to-Run and MSI-based applications

If you have the Click-to-Run version, select "Online repair" when asked "How would you like to repair your Office programs?" Confirm your selection by clicking on "Repair". The quick repair is only recommended to a limited extent, as it may not detect all errors.

If you are using an MSI-based version, click on “Repair” under “Change installation”. Confirm the process by clicking on "Next".

If this does not help, you may have to reinstall your Microsoft Office.

Thank you everyone for your patience and time

Nikolino

@NikolinoDE 

That's correct, but in my practice online repair could help only in very simple cases. I'd still recommend tool from the link in my post, for today that's most reliable way. The only be prepared your settings will be lost.

My ribbon doesn't show a Tools section. It has:
Clipboard Font Alignment Number Styles Cells Editing (then extra blank space with close caret)
I usually keep it hidden and use Quick Access to increase badly needed screen real estate.

I've avoided macros for years since they converted workbooks to read-only. (simple find and replace ones that should NOT have done that!) Other than tables, workbooks are strictly data and formulae, plus a few internal jump links.

Will investigate safe mode.

@mmserp_ 

I'm not sure on which edition of Excel @NikolinoDE works with Tools menu. My understanding on modern Excel we shall to install "classic menu" add-in to have it Where is the Tools Menu in Microsoft Excel 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 and 365 (addintools.com)

I use Office Home and Student 2019. No add-ins that I'm aware of. A couple alt navigation behaviours appeared in Safe mode but a couple others did not. Tools module would be nice, but I think it's better try repairs before installing any add-ons. Same goes for re-installation.

@mmserp_ 

Keyboard shortcuts in Excel

Excel for Microsoft 365 Excel for Microsoft 365 for Mac Excel for the web Excel 2019 Excel 2016 Excel 2019 for Mac Excel 2013 Excel 2010 Excel 2007 Excel 2016 for Mac Excel for Mac 2011 Excel for iPad Excel for iPhone Excel for Android tablets Excel for Android phones Excel for Windows Phone 10 Excel Mobile.

This is where my beginner's knowledge ends.

Thank you for your understanding and patience
I wish you continued success with Excel

Nikolino

@mmserp_ 

You don't need Tools menu, the same you could do from File->Options, but I don't think something could help here. Most probably some Windows service resets shortcuts, but who knows. Perhaps full reinstall with Fix tool could help.

Sorry Nikolino, I know which navigation shortcut keys--I've used them for many years. I just need them to WORK as before.

Sergei you are correct, I didn't see any reset navigation other than the editing move direction in Options.

Neither Control Panel Repairs fixed the alt shortcut anomalies.

What Fix tool are you referring to?

@mmserp_ 

Simple repair could help if, for example, you eventually remove / crash some dll or other components of the Office. But it keeps your profile setting and all related registry keys.

On the link Repair an Office application - Office Support (microsoft.com) use

image.png

It's also not a warranty but that's most complete clean of previous office installation.

You need to have everything to install Office from the scratch after that.

I think I tried that but didn't lose my settings so perhaps I'm confusing it with the (2d) Online Repair?

After both Repair options ran, they did NOT fix the Alt navigation shortcuts. Made them worse, actually. Now I can't undo, just get ♥+AC2♥ when I press [Esc] or try to undo/restore the original cell contents in the destination.  (And why I tried Alt-navigating a test worksheet)

I still think something in the last Microsoft Update must have broken them.

@mmserp_ 

Sorry to hear that. Looks like that's not in Office, more Windows issue. Do you have the same with Alt shortcuts in Word?

I hardly ever use Word. Been a WordPerfect user since the 80's.

I've used EXCEL since the bygone era of Lotus 1-2-3.
FWIW, I just checked if my Office 2019 needed an update. Check = up to date, so I'm not missing a patch.
Sometimes in moments like these I feel like = DATEDIF (DATE (1940; 6; 12); TODAY (); "y") years old

Wish you a nice day.

Nikolino

@mmserp_ 

I can reproduce that if to use shortcuts like Alt+PgUp with NumPad if NumLock is switched ON. With that you actually some char, e.g. Alt+PgDn or Alt+3 on NumPad returns char with unicode 9829 (♥).

If that's not your case then navigation keys like PageDown work in NumPad mode, don't know why.