Excel 365 - corrupting workbook constantly and is unstable

Copper Contributor

MS Excel 365 - Windows 10

Hi all

It may be that I have too much data in excel... But I wanted to see if anyone else is having their excel workbooks constantly corrupt. This is that I open a workbook of moderate size with some vba in (xlsm around 27mb). Copy in some data. Then it corrupts and refuses to save or close and I need to kill excel via the task manager. Then the workbook on opening states it needs repairing and refuses to save.

I open via repair and sometimes this sorts it out, but usually not for long.

I am also getting excel in a state where it thinks it has updated the screen but is actually displaying grey boxes and not showing the data/sheet. the pop up message is blank but the buttons work and I can still close the workbook via the window close, if I guess the save buttons position.

I am using office 365 and have also noticed that when excel is busy doing whatever, other office applications begin to hang/fail (outlook twice and visio once -> not visio is not 365 version).

So am I alone in this?

4 Replies
Some quick checks to do:
- Any external links you are unable to locate?
- How many range names does the file have (including hidden ones)?
- How many custom styles does the file have (Home tab)?
- Have you ever cleaned the VBA code?
- Any worksheets with many objects on top of them?

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

Hi

Originally the file was xlsb and 100mb-110mb. It died and on recovery I tried using it as xlsm - 140+mb

As this opened once and somehow corrupted itself in that it refused to close and refused to save, I decided to make it into smaller files. I split the file into 5 pieces, keeping the main sections together and and related data tabs together in the smaller files. 

This was done linking via vlookup and sumifs, but even with all the files open at once was slow, and prone to the grey screens (refusing to screen update sheet and even toolbars), corrupting, and occasionally memory error or just closing without warning or saving.

Since then I wrote some vba to grab the data into a tab in the main sheet (crunched/summed to reduce data).

As to your points to check:

There are a few links on sheets that do not matter linked to the original file.
The named ranges are there, I have removed those as they did not pick up the files being split.
Custom styles, two apparently

cleaned vba code?

No worksheets have objects on them (form or shapes). The headers have images on some sheets.

Hi,

I cannot use that. In the middle it says it is only 32 bit, I"m on windows 10 with 365 (which I believe is 64bit).

As to the rest, I've gone though and removed older links where I've found them, deleted the named ranges. It's still highly unstable and I am considering other options at the moment.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Regards

Vince