Excel 365 conditional formatting color issues - not responding when doing a copy paste

New Contributor

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is any limitation for the excel conditional formatting? we have this spreadsheet of schedule who has a lot of color condition as below. when ever you do a copy paste or ammen a line its not responding for a few secs. note that we try different laptop and if you remove all the condition formatting it works fine so something to do with how many conditional formatting is there. so wondering what might cause it? or is there any limitation on using it.

Thank you in Advance.

johnc23_0-1660252557764.png

Cheers,
JOHN

3 Replies

@johnc23 

There is no hard limit - it depends on the capability of your computer. But yes, having many conditional formatting rules that apply to large ranges has a serious negative impact on performance. In extreme cases Excel fails to update the formatting correctly.

Hi Hans, thanks for your fast reply. i appreciated it. it just i couldnt find anything with the similar issue about this.
the computer specs we have is a new dell 5531, with a 12th Gen i7-12800H, 32GB 4800MHZ, a NVME 512GB drive, GPU Iris XE Graphics.
any idea what we can do about it? or any good practice?
Cheers,
JOHN

@johnc23 

Installing a dedicated graphics card might help.

Otherwise: try to reduce the number of conditional formatting rules and/or reduce the size of the ranges they apply to.