Down arrow in Excel

Copper Contributor

I have a desktop computer which I'm having a problem with. I type 123 in one cell and get different results when I hit the down arrow to input the next number. I thought that the key pad had gone bad so I bought a new one, hooked it up and had the same problem. I opened a laptop on the same network, accessed the same worksheet and everything worked fine.

Is the problem in the keyboard, the computer or the software, and how do I fix it?

12322 Typed 123 and hit down arrow twice B4 highlighted box moved  
1232 Typed 123 and hit down arrow once B4 highlighted box moved  
123 Typed 123 and hit down arrow, highlighted box moved correctly  
1 Typed 123 and hit down arrow, highlighted box apparently moved on 2
3 Result of above          
3 Result of above          
12322 Typed 123 and hit down arrow twice B4 highlighted box moved  
3 Result of above          

123 Typed 123 enter and hit down arrow, highlighted box moved correctly  
1 Typed 123 enter and hit down arrow, highlighted box moved on 2  
3 Result of above          
1 Typed 123 enter and hit down arrow, highlighted box moved on 2  
3 Result of above          

Left, right and up arrows all appear to operate correctly.      

21 Replies

Hi Chris.

That is odd.  Sounds like a software issue on your install of Office

What version of Excel do you have?

Is it on Office 365?

If it is then if you search for Add/Remove programs then find office and try a quick repair.

If that doesn't work try the full online repair option

image.png

Hi Chris.

That is odd.  Sounds like a software issue on your install of Office

What version of Excel do you have?

Is it on Office 365?

If it is then if you search for Add/Remove programs then find office and try a quick repair.

If that doesn't work try the full online repair option

image.png

Hi Wyn, I appreciate your help on my odd problem. You are correct, Excel 2016 which is part of Office 365. I tried the quick repair, and that didn't work, so I tried the online repair with no better results. Do you have any other suggestions?
If you go into FIle > Account can you tell me what version you are on.

It should say something like Semi Annual Channel
Build 1706.123.456

Also go to File > Feedback > Send a frown to report this.

Final thought, what language/keyboard settings do you have on. Do a search in the windows search box for keyboard settings

Version 1802 (Build 9029.2167)

sent frown

Not sure what your looking for in language/keyboard settings.

In terms of keyboard I guess just an odd setting. Does it just say English US or something like that ?
English (US)......nothing weird or out of the ordinary...latest Office 365 was installed end of June 2017 and was working fine for the first 5-6 months

Can you try File > Account > Update

If that doesn't work then I'm a bit stumped sorry.  Does pressing Enter move the cursor to the next cell and work correctly?

image.png

Wyn,
Went to File > Account > Update Found that program was up to date with no further updates available.
Pressing Enter did not move the curser, but I went to: File > Options > Advanced > Editing Options and checked off enter to move curser down. That seemed to work, although after 6 or 8 times typing my example (1,2,3,enter) I immediately hit Down Arrow and had a result of 2 in the cell below. This seems to be a workable fix for the time being and hopefully will be fully corrected when subscription renews in June.
Chris, that is really odd.
Don't suppose you have any add-ins or personal macros running
And this happens in all new workbooks or just one particular file?
Wyn,
There are no add-ins or personal macros running that I know of (wouldn't know how to set them up or use them) and this happens on all workbooks, both old and new.
I might also add, this problem only seems to occur in Excel. Arrow keys function correctly in Word

OK, one last suggestion.  Start Excel in safe mode and see if the issue persists.

To start in safe mode keep the Ctrl key held down while clicking on the icon to launch Excel.

Started in safe mode....same results

Can you please check if the 

Sticky Keys are not turned on. plz see the screenshot. 

go to search box and type Ease of access keyboard setting

aa.png

Jamil,
I appreciate your help in trying to fix my problem.
Although I'm not sure which search box you were referring to, I pressed Shift key 5 times and a pop-up screen came up that asked if I wanted to turn ON sticky keys. That to me indicated that sticky keys were OFF.
Can you please confirm whether you use numeric key pad in your keyboard when entering these numbers?
Can you please also check if keyboard key for Numlock is not pressed/stuck.
can you open a blank workbook and then post its screenshot here?
Jamil,
Yes, I'm using the numeric key pad (number keys at top are cumbersome and time consuming), however, I tried using numbers at top and problem seems to go away.
I have used 3 different keyboards (one being brand new) with same results so there is no problem with Num Lock key.
I don't know how to post a screenshot.

you can use the windows built-in Snapping tool tutorial is posted here

once you have the screenshot then you can click on the icon "Photos" and upload the saved screenshot.

By the way, it's not necessary to save/upload the screenshot. As soon as the image is in clipboard it's enough to open Photos, click at any place on gray zone (to take the focus) and paste the image by keyboard shortcut you prefer for the paste (Ctrl+V or Shift+Ins).